McKinney ISD’s school board approved final updates for elementary school renovations using funds from the district's 2016 bond program.
Caldwell Elementary School, built in 1961, has not been renovated since 2002—with the exception of the kitchen, which was renovated in 2020. Vega Elementary School, built in 2002, has never had renovations or a refresh.
Expected renovations and replacements include:
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning improvements for about $2.2 million
- New energy-efficient LED lighting for a total of $1 million
- Fire alarm upgrades
- New countertops and cabinets
- New plumbing fixtures, such as toilets and urinals
- Miscellaneous items such as marker boards, toilet stalls, gym pads and landscaping
The total cost of renovations and improvements is expected to be $1.8 million for Vega Elementary School and $1.7 million for Caldwell Elementary School. Renovations will begin on the last day of school, May 21.