Paul W. McCallum, the executive director of Grapevine’s Convention and Visitors Bureau, said the decision to cancel was based on the requirements from Gov. Greg Abbott’s strike force committee on reopening Texas.
"It is not possible for the CVB and the steering committee to safely meet the requirements of the governor’s strike force committee for this year’s Main Street Fest,” McCallum said at a June 2 meeting. "We will however have the Main Street Fest tennis tournament.”
McCallum said there may be other events from Main Street Fest that could be held individually over the coming months.
"At several times throughout the summer we might be able to take some individual events from within the festival itself and hold them in [a] much smaller setting ... and take advantage of a lot of the hard work that has been done,” he said. "We worked very closely with the governor's office. We did everything we could."
The festival had previously been scheduled to take place May 15-17. Before the ultimate cancellation of the festival, organizers announced in early April the festival would be rescheduled to the end of June due to COVID-19 concerns.
Had it not been canceled, the annual event would have marked the 36th year the festival has been held in Grapevine.