Bob Allen announces his run for Frisco mayor

City elections will take place in May 2017.

City elections will take place in May 2017.

Updated 1:45 p.m. Oct. 28, 2016

Frisco City Council member Bob Allen has announced his run for the mayor of Frisco on Thursday. The seat he is seeking is currently held by Frisco Mayor Maher Maso, who will be term limited next year.

Bob Allen Bob Allen[/caption]

Allen was first elected to Frisco City Council in 2002. His current term does not expire until May 2018. According to the city charter, an elected official vacates his or her seat when the official files an application to have his or her name placed on a ballot for an elective office other than the one he or she currently holds. A vacancy on City Council will be filled by a special election that will be held 120 days after the vacancy occurs.

Allen has previously served as the deputy mayor pro tem and mayor pro tem. He currently serves on Council's tax increment finance board, legislative committee and governance committee.

Allen is the director of business applications and processes for Frisco ISD. He has also worked for Electronic Data Systems and HP.

Allen said leadership experience is essential for the next mayor of Frisco as the city will see a large turnover in its senior leadership in the next five years.

"I've helped large organizations through a change management process," he said. "I think change requires a firm, candid and results-oriented leader, and I feel I have these qualities."

Some of Allen's top priorities include driving corporate business development and maximizing property development investments.

"As we look at our development, we're about 60 percent developed, leaving 40 percent [of the city undeveloped]," he said. "It's really important that we capitalize on the values and opportunities there."

Allen's other top priorities include providing transparency in the budget process, keeping taxes low, expanding infrastructure and providing responsible economic development and job growth.

Allen said Frisco's demographics are changing as more people move into the city.

"I think we have a lot of people moving to town who have their vision of what the city needs to become, and I think they should have a voice in that process as well," he said.

Allen said he has seen exponential growth in the city since he and his wife moved here more than 20 years ago.

"I think back to where Frisco was when I moved here in 1992 to where we are today, and it's been pretty amazing," he said. "I'm proud of where we come from, I'm excited about where we are today and I'm in awe when I think of the future to be."

Former Council member Jeff Cheney has also announced his bid for Frisco Mayor. City elections will take place in May 2017.