Texas Health Frisco, UT Southwestern Medical Center to see first patients in December

The new Texas Health Frisco campus includes a 325,000-square-foot hospital and a UT Southwestern Medical Center. (Lindsey Juarez Monsivais/Community Impact Newspaper)

Doctors at Frisco’s newest hospital campus will begin seeing patients in December.

Texas Health Frisco and UT Southwestern Medical Center at Frisco will open next month on a 20-acre campus just east of the Dallas North Tollway.

The development will include a 325,000-square-foot hospital and a 120,000-square-foot medical center as the result of a collaboration between Texas Health Resources and UT Southwestern Medical Center.

“The intent with this partnership is to ... import the expertise that exists at UT Southwestern into a warm and welcoming community hospital environment that’s convenient to the growing Frisco community and creating a care delivery network that is unlike anything else that exists in the metroplex,” Texas Health Frisco President Brett Lee said.

A grand opening event for the development is planned for Dec. 14.

Texas Health Frisco

Texas Health Frisco will be the city’s fourth hospital. It will open as a 73-bed, acute care hospital with an emergency room, women’s services, a neonatal intensive care unit and diagnostic imaging, among other services.

The hospital has room to expand and could eventually house up to 300 beds in the main facility, Lee said. Over the next five to six years, the hospital could add patient towers based on demand, he said.

“The fact that we have a 20-acre campus to grow into over the course of the next several years, I think, really positions us to become the medical district for Frisco and the surrounding communities,” Lee said.

Aside from medical services, Lee said, the hospital is intended to be a “gathering place” for the community. The campus will include walking trails, a community garden, an Ascension coffee shop and a bistro.

UT Southwestern Medical Center

UT Southwestern’s main location is in Dallas. About 13% of patients who visit the main campus live within a few miles of the future Frisco medical center, said Dr. John Warner, executive vice president for health system affairs at UT Southwestern.

“We want to meet our patients where they are,” Warner said. “When we were thinking about places of where we might be developing new facilities to be closer to patients and their families, Frisco was an obvious choice.”

The four-story medical office building will house adult and pediatric specialties, such as dermatology, neurology, orthopedic surgery and physical rehabilitation. It will also include a retail pharmacy and lab services.

Warner said several UT Southwestern physicians and staff also live near the future medical campus, and those employees are excited to work closer to their homes.
SHARE THIS STORY
By Lindsey Juarez

Lindsey has been involved in newspapers in some form since high school. She graduated magna cum laude from the University of Texas at Arlington in 2014 with a degree in Journalism. While attending UTA, she worked for The Shorthorn, the university's award-winning student newspaper. She was hired as Community Impact Newspaper's first Frisco reporter in 2014. Less than a year later, she took over as the editor of the Frisco edition. Since then, she has covered a variety of topics and issues important to the community, including the city's affordable housing shortage, the state's controversial A-F school accountability system and the city's "Bury the Lines" efforts.

2020 vote buttons adobe stock image
Collin County primary candidates to meet for forum at Collin College

Candidates for Collin County, Texas and U.S. Representative seats will meet for a forum Jan. 25 at Collin College.

Petland has been in Frisco for more than 15 years. (Lindsey Juarez Monsivais/Community Impact Newspaper)
Frisco City Council to consider revised animal ordinance following Petland concerns

The proposed ordinance would add or increase pet store requirements in the areas of sanitation, veterinary treatment, housing and more.

The auto service shop will offer oil changes, auto repairs, brake services, alignments and more. (Courtesy Service First Automotive)
Service First Automotive opening East Frisco location in February

Service First Automotive will have two Frisco locations.

La Finca Coffee & Bakery cake
La Finca Coffee & Bakery to open at The Patios at the Rail in April

A new coffee shop and bakery is coming to downtown Frisco this spring.

Fellowship Church to open new Frisco location

The Christian church will offer children's spaces as well as programming for families, students, children and parents every Wednesday.

The corner of 1st Street and Cherry Street in downtown Frisco is one of three street signs that will be replaced following City Council's approval of the use of a numeral abbreviation for 1st Street. (William C. Wadsack/Community Impact Newspaper)
Frisco City Council approves slight name changes for seven downtown streets

Frisco staff found only three street signs would need to be replaced, at an estimated total cost of $450.

Anne McCausland
Anne McCausland not seeking re-election to Frisco ISD board

McCausland was first elected to the board in 2011 and served as board president for two years.

The filing period for the upcoming May general elections opened Jan. 15 and ends Feb. 14. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Five candidates file for May 2 Frisco city elections; 1 files for FISD race

The filing period for the May 2 election will continue through Feb. 14.

Texas oil and gas industry could see a major slowdown in 2020

The oil and natural gas industry paid a record-setting $16.3 billion in taxes and royalties to local governments and the state in 2019, the Texas Oil and Gas Association announced Tuesday.

David McDavid Honda of Frisco renovations set to wrap up in February

The location is still undergoing renovations to the exterior of the facility.

Jersey Mike's Subs offers a variety of sub-style sandwiches, meals, breakfast items and sides. (Courtesy Jersey Mike's Subs)
Jersey Mike's Subs celebrates first anniversary in Frisco

The American sandwich chain offers a variety of sub-style sandwiches, meals, breakfast items and sides.

Back to top