Slowing sales tax growth contributes to budget changes in Frisco

The closure of some stores could be a contributing factor to slowing sales tax revenue growth. (Lindsey Juarez Monsivais/Community Impact Newspaper)

So far this year, Frisco’s sales tax revenue is growing at one of the lowest rates of the past decade, a trend city staff said might be a new norm.

For years, Frisco enjoyed sales tax revenue growth of more than 10% year over year, which has been used to fund the city’s general fund and economic and community development.

As of October, Frisco’s sales tax revenue had grown 2.26% year over year. Sales tax revenue growth also slowed in the past few years, according to Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts data.

The city estimates it will have about $3 million less in revenue than it did in fiscal year 2018-19.

“Even though our population is still growing at about 5%-6%, there’s so much in and out that I think we’re at a level that is just going to be stable,” Assistant City Manager Nell Lange said. “[Revenue] is going to continue to grow a little but not in huge amounts.”

Budget effects

The slowing of sales tax revenue growth, in addition to other factors, prompted the city to add fewer new positions through the city budget this year.

Four new employees, all in the police department, were added to the 2019-20 city budget approved in September, whereas 45 positions were added in the previous fiscal year.

The city could add more employees if revenues increase above projections, but Lange said the city will have to rethink its budget strategy if revenues are indeed stabilizing.

“We’ve been talking through different scenarios and how to do it,” Lange said. “We continue to grow, and yes, we’re going to need to add bodies. We’re going to need to add parks people; we’re going to need to add police and fire; we’re going to have to open another station at some point. We’ll just have to work through our strategies and see how to do that.”

Frisco Finance Director Anita Cothran said other cities budget for sales tax revenue based on the average of the previous three years’ revenue totals. She said the city may consider a similar strategy in the future.

Possible factors

City staff has pointed to several factors that could attribute to the slowing growth, including increased retail competition in surrounding cities, the closure of several major stores in Frisco and the growth of online shopping.

“The economy generally is slowing down, but we’ve also had a lot build up around us,” Lange said.

Consumers in general are not spending less money, but where they spend their money has changed, said Linda Mihalick, the senior director of the Global Digital Retailing Research Center at the University of North Texas.

“There’s not a slowdown; it’s a shifting of where the sales are coming, what types of retailers, where consumers are buying and how they’re buying,” she said. “But it’s not a negative.”

Consumers in the Dallas-Fort Worth area have more options than ever before for shopping and dining, Mihalick said.

New stores in the region, such as Nebraska Furniture Mart in The Colony and Costco in McKinney, may be drawing residents and visitors outside of Frisco, Lange said.

On top of increased competition, a number of prominent stores have closed in the past year in Frisco, including the Sears department store and the Apple Store, both inside Stonebriar Centre.

Some consumers are also increasingly choosing to shop online rather than in a physical store, Mihalick said. Estimates show that 10% of all sales in the U.S. come from online, and that number has grown from previous years, she said.

Frisco likely has been losing out on sales tax revenue as online retailers used to not be required to pay local sales taxes in Texas.

New revenue

It is unclear how a new state law affecting online sales and upcoming major developments could affect revenue projections this year. Lange said both could either generate more revenue or just offset decreases.

A new law that went into effect Oct. 1 requires many online retailers to pay state and local sales taxes. Any online retailer that generated at least $500,000 in sales in Texas in a year is subject to the new law.

More than a dozen other states implemented similar laws this year.

“Back when the internet started, when only 2% of people were on the internet buying things in the early ’90s, the old tax laws weren’t set up to deal with this,” Mihalick said. “It didn’t really bother anybody back then. But now, everybody’s on the internet.”

The state currently levies a 6.25% sales tax, and local entities have the option to levy a sales tax up to 2%. Frisco imposes the full 2%, for a total sales tax of 8.25%.

When retailers submit their sales taxes to the state comptroller’s office, the state keeps its portion and sends the remainder back to the taxing entities each month, said Kevin Lyons, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts spokesperson. The same process will be in place for online retailers, he said.

The one exception is that online retailers have the option to collect a flat 7.75% sales tax rather than collecting differing sales taxes based on the jurisdiction in which the sale is made, Lyons said. The state would still keep its portion of sales taxes and send the remaining 1.5% in taxes back to the local entities regardless of the sales tax levied in each entity, he said.

The first online sales tax collections are due to the state in November, and cities will receive their revenue in December, Lyons said.

Lange said it is unclear how much revenue Frisco will receive from online sales.

“It’s anybody’s guess,” she said. “Sales tax is one of the most volatile [revenue sources] we’ve got.”

Upcoming development

New developments are also expected to bring in more sales tax dollars.

KidZania, an interactive education and entertainment center for children, is slated to open at the end of November in Stonebriar Centre. The 85,000-square-foot facility will be the first in the U.S.

An Amazon 4-star store is also opening soon at the mall and will feature products that are top sellers, have received four or more stars or are new and trending on Amazon’s website.

More development that will generate sales tax revenue is planned for the coming years at Hall Park, The Star in Frisco and Frisco Station, Lange said. The Professional Golfers’ Association of America’s development will also draw crowds to see championship tournaments.

Even with slowing sales tax growth, Frisco is still one of the strongest markets in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, said Ian Pierce, vice president of communications for Weitzman, a Texas-based commercial real estate company.

“Stonebriar saw the Sears store close last year, but considering that the mall is one of the best in DFW, retailers should see that space as an opportunity,” he said. “And with experiential retail like KidZania added to the mall, we expect to see increased traffic and cross-shopping.”
SHARE THIS STORY
By Lindsey Juarez

Lindsey has been involved in newspapers in some form since high school. She graduated magna cum laude from the University of Texas at Arlington in 2014 with a degree in Journalism. While attending UTA, she worked for The Shorthorn, the university's award-winning student newspaper. She was hired as Community Impact Newspaper's first Frisco reporter in 2014. Less than a year later, she took over as the editor of the Frisco edition. Since then, she has covered a variety of topics and issues important to the community, including the city's affordable housing shortage, the state's controversial A-F school accountability system and the city's "Bury the Lines" efforts.

2020 vote buttons adobe stock image
Collin County primary candidates to meet for forum at Collin College

Candidates for Collin County, Texas and U.S. Representative seats will meet for a forum Jan. 25 at Collin College.

Petland has been in Frisco for more than 15 years. (Lindsey Juarez Monsivais/Community Impact Newspaper)
Frisco City Council to consider revised animal ordinance following Petland concerns

The proposed ordinance would add or increase pet store requirements in the areas of sanitation, veterinary treatment, housing and more.

The auto service shop will offer oil changes, auto repairs, brake services, alignments and more. (Courtesy Service First Automotive)
Service First Automotive opening East Frisco location in February

Service First Automotive will have two Frisco locations.

La Finca Coffee & Bakery cake
La Finca Coffee & Bakery to open at The Patios at the Rail in April

A new coffee shop and bakery is coming to downtown Frisco this spring.

Fellowship Church to open new Frisco location

The Christian church will offer children's spaces as well as programming for families, students, children and parents every Wednesday.

The corner of 1st Street and Cherry Street in downtown Frisco is one of three street signs that will be replaced following City Council's approval of the use of a numeral abbreviation for 1st Street. (William C. Wadsack/Community Impact Newspaper)
Frisco City Council approves slight name changes for seven downtown streets

Frisco staff found only three street signs would need to be replaced, at an estimated total cost of $450.

Anne McCausland
Anne McCausland not seeking re-election to Frisco ISD board

McCausland was first elected to the board in 2011 and served as board president for two years.

The filing period for the upcoming May general elections opened Jan. 15 and ends Feb. 14. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Five candidates file for May 2 Frisco city elections; 1 files for FISD race

The filing period for the May 2 election will continue through Feb. 14.

Texas oil and gas industry could see a major slowdown in 2020

The oil and natural gas industry paid a record-setting $16.3 billion in taxes and royalties to local governments and the state in 2019, the Texas Oil and Gas Association announced Tuesday.

David McDavid Honda of Frisco renovations set to wrap up in February

The location is still undergoing renovations to the exterior of the facility.

Jersey Mike's Subs offers a variety of sub-style sandwiches, meals, breakfast items and sides. (Courtesy Jersey Mike's Subs)
Jersey Mike's Subs celebrates first anniversary in Frisco

The American sandwich chain offers a variety of sub-style sandwiches, meals, breakfast items and sides.

Back to top