Cheezie’s Gourmet Grilled Cheese

0
Cheezie’s Gourmet Grilled Cheese

Robert Sansone and his wife, Amy, opened Cheezie’s Gourmet Grilled Cheese in August 2014. (via Photo by Lindsey Juarez)

Robert Sansone said he loved to cook from a young age. When he was 10 years old, he said he made a grilled cheese sandwich, looked at it and thought to himself, “I could market that.”

“I’ve always loved sandwiches,” he said. “I think they’re like a blank canvas. There’s so much you can do, and they’re so underappreciated.”

The idea of making the cheesy sandwich profitable never went away. So when Robert left the corporate world to start his own venture, he turned to the grilled cheese sandwich.

The result was Cheezie’s Gourmet Grilled Cheese, which opened in August 2014. The family-owned restaurant specializes in homemade grilled cheese sandwiches and macaroni and cheese. Robert, a co-owner, runs the restaurant with his wife, Amy.

Staying true to Robert’s chef background, nearly everything served at Cheezie’s is made in-house, including the pickles and fried pies.

“Honestly, you shouldn’t be able to sell something you don’t make,” he said.

Robert said the ingredients are vitally important to making the sandwiches work, starting with the base ingredients: the bread and the cheese.

Cheezie’s uses bread from a local artisan bakery and has more than 10 cheeses for its

Cheezie’s Gourmet Grilled Cheese

Memphis Mac ($7.99) includes smoked pulled pork, spicy barbecue sauce and crispy fried onions. (via Photo by Lindsey Juarez)

sandwiches and mac and cheese.

The dishes are combined with “unexpected” flavors through a variety of meats, sauces and vegetables, Robert said. This includes the Memphis Melt sandwich ($7.99), which has pulled pork, coleslaw and spicy barbecue sauce.

“It gives it a whole different flavor profile when you bite into it,” Robert said. “It’s not what you expect.”

Although the dishes are geared more to an adult’s palate, Robert said he has found that children also love the food.

Cheezie’s Gourmet Grilled Cheese

Big Tex ($7.99) includes smoked brisket and onion marmalade with aged white cheddar on jalepeno cheddar bread. (via Photo by Lindsey Juarez)

“Children appreciate textures, flavors, and people overlook that all the time,” he said.

Cheezie’s is all about food fun, Robert said, meaning it is all about creating an experience for the diner that is both adventurous and delicious.

“The humble grilled cheese can be a dining experience,” he said. “It just depends on who’s making it and if it is coming from the heart.”

Cheezie’s Gourmet Grilled Cheese

5995 Preston Road, Ste. 102
469-535-3306
www.cheeziesgourmet.com
Hours: Mon.-Thu. 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Fri.-Sat. 11 a.m.-8 p.m.

Share this story
COMMENT

Lindsey Juarez
Lindsey has been involved in newspapers in some form since high school. She graduated magna cum laude from the University of Texas at Arlington in 2014 with a degree in Journalism. While attending UTA, she worked for The Shorthorn, the university's award-winning student newspaper. She was hired as Community Impact Newspaper's first Frisco reporter in 2014. Less than a year later, she took over as the editor of the Frisco edition. Since then, she has covered a variety of topics and issues important to the community, including the city's affordable housing shortage, the state's controversial A-F school accountability system and the city's "Bury the Lines" efforts.
Back to top