Amazon selects HQ2 locations; Frisco not chosen

1

Amazon Inc. has chosen New York City and Arlington, Virginia, to accommodate its second headquarters, ending the efforts of Dallas-Fort Worth area cities—including Frisco—that had hopes of attracting the tech giant.

Amazon is investing $5 billion and creating more than 50,000 jobs across both selected cities, according to a Nov. 13 news release from the company. Amazon also announced it will establish a business operations center in Nashville, Tennessee, which will result in more than 5,000 jobs.

The major online retailer announced the search for its second headquarters in September 2017 and asked cities to team up to submit one proposal per Metropolitan Statistical Area.

The Dallas Regional Chamber partnered with the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce in October 2017 to collect a list of sites to present to Amazon, according to a Dallas Regional Chamber news release. Amazon received 238 proposals across the country.

Frisco announced its bid for Amazon’s second headquarters last year through a video touting the city’s qualities. In a previous article, Frisco Mayor Jeff Cheney emphasized the city’s large amount of available land and highly educated workforce.

Tony Felker, Frisco of Chamber of Commerce president, said the region learned a lot about its strengths, like its educational offerings, but also learned a lot about its weaknesses.

“I think areas like transportation [and]workforce development will continue to be areas we can work on as a region,” Felker said. “We’re just working to make sure that we all continue to work on that together. I think there’s a lesson here—it’s not just about Frisco, but it’s about how the whole area and the whole area works together and addresses those issues.”

Dale Petroskey, CEO and president of the Dallas Regional Chamber, made a statement in response to Amazon’s announcement, affirming the DFW metro as an attractive market for companies. Since September 2017, 40 corporations have presented plans for relocations and expansions in the DFW region, including Paycom, Peloton and Smoothie King.

“Make no mistake, this has been a ‘win’ for our region regardless of the outcome,” Petroskey said in the statement. “Our business community grows and expands by the day, and our momentum as a destination of choice has only increased as a result of being a finalist for HQ2.”

Share this story
1 comment
COMMENT
  1. This is a bunch of corn! They gave it to DC and NYC because of their Hillary connections for Jeff Bozo to try to embarrass President Donald Trump! Well guess what? It’s called failure! Get ready for Amazon to turn into Radio Shack 2.0! AND GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Leave A Reply

Lindsey Juarez
Lindsey has been involved in newspapers in some form since high school. She graduated magna cum laude from the University of Texas at Arlington in 2014 with a degree in Journalism. While attending UTA, she worked for The Shorthorn, the university's award-winning student newspaper. She was hired as Community Impact Newspaper's first Frisco reporter in 2014. Less than a year later, she took over as the editor of the Frisco edition. Since then, she has covered a variety of topics and issues important to the community, including the city's affordable housing shortage, the state's controversial A-F school accountability system and the city's "Bury the Lines" efforts.
Back to top