Owner leaves corporate job, goes back to family roots

Using a horse-drawn buggy, Dave Steinman's grandfather operated a junk-hauling business in the 1930s.

Although Steinman collected junk on his way to and from school in the 1960s and kept doing so as a hobby throughout his 35 years in corporate business, it wasn't until he was laid off in 2009 that he came back to his roots and purchased his own business franchise, College Hunks Hauling Junk.

The junk hauling business will take almost any type of junk except chemicals, hazardous materials, paint, children and pets.

"I charge extra to take spouses," owner Dave Steinmen joked.

College Hunks Hauling Junk not only allows people to get rid of unwanted items, but it also helps the environment. Steinman said 70 percent of what is collected is salvageable, and the other 30 percent goes to the landfill.

What some people consider junk others consider treasure. Steinman donates many items to local nonprofit organizations, including Habitat for Humanity, Frisco Family Services, the Boys and Girls Club of Collin County and more.

"We have had working flat-screen TVs, motorized scooters, and one time we had a 560-bottle wine cellar," Steinman said. "It's amazing what people will throw [away]."

The College Hunks Hauling Junk Facebook page is peppered with interesting finds and Pinterest-worthy do-it-yourself projects made from junk found on the job. Steinman allows his "hunks" to keep whatever they like from a job and says his own apartment has been furnished by junked art pieces.

The employees are usually college students. "HUNKS" stands for Honest, Uniformed, Nice, Knowledgeable, Students.

Steinman, 59, calls himself the "elder hunk."

He said he enjoys leading his "hunks" and helping them understand "the good, the bad and the ugly of a small business."

"I am having the time of my life with this; I love it," he said.

The business of hauling junk

  • Steinman said he plans to expand his business by adding more trucks and more part-time employees.

  • Summer is usually the busiest season for his business, he said.

  • College Hunks Hauling Junk uses trucks that are spacious enough to hold eight side-by-side refrigerators.

  • On average, most jobs require only half a truck.

  • The business has 13 different price points for its services, and the minimum rate is $124.

  • College Hunks Hauling Junk operates seven days a week and estimates are free.

  • 3100 Independence Parkway, Ste. 201, Plano

  • 972-810-7500

  • www.collegehunkshaulingjunk.com


  • Mon.–Sat. 8 a.m.–6 p.m.

  • Sun. 10 a.m.–2 p.m.