Drivers on I-35 can expect traffic delays and congestion July 12-15 as the Texas Department of Transportation reduces lanes for road work.
TxDOT will reduce traffic in both directions on I-35 between Rundberg Lane and Hwy. 290 to two lanes starting at 9 p.m. July 12 through 5 a.m. July 15, according to a news release from TxDOT.
On the northbound side, traffic will shift to the southbound I-35 side at St. Johns Avenue. These changes will allow crews to demolish the northbound-southbound U-turn bridge at St. Johns where the bridge over the highway is currently closed.
Crews will also be able to install the steel beams north of US 183 to support the southbound I-35 to southbound US 183 flyover.
The I-35 project includes adding three total flyovers to improve connection between I-35 and US 183. TxDOT will also improve the existing northbound I-35 to northbound US 183 ramp. More information about the project is available at www.my35construction.org.
Other closures and traffic changes happening July 12-15 include:
- The northbound I-35 ramp to northbound US 183 will be closed.
- The exit ramp to the northbound frontage road north of Hwy. 290 will remain open, but the entrance ramp will be closed.
- The northbound exit ramp north of US 183 will be closed.
- The southbound entrance ramp south of Rundberg will be closed.
- The southbound US 183 to southbound I-35 flyover will be closed.
The traffic changes and closures also coincide with other closures and traffic changes happening on US 183 South with the Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority’s project. Learn more here.