Updated July 13, 8:39 a.m.:
According to a July 12 news release by the Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority, a previously scheduled traffic shift and the demolition of the Colorado River bridge on northbound US 183 has been cancelled for July 13. The work “has been postponed and will be rescheduled for a later date to be determined,” the release states.
No reason was given for the postponement, but dates are subject to change “based on weather and other circumstances,” according to the Mobility Authority.
Original post July 9, 9:27 a.m.:
Drivers heading from the airport to downtown Austin will be affected by a major traffic shift happening in July to prepare for the demolition of the Colorado River bridge on northbound US 183.
The Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority is preparing to open the northern end of the US 183 South toll project later this summer. This project is adding three tolled lanes in each direction to US 183 between Toll 290 and SH 71.
But first, crews will need to reroute traffic starting in July to demolish the Colorado River bridge on northbound US 183, according to a July 9 news release from the agency.
Here is a look at the upcoming changes. Dates are subject to change because of weather and other circumstances, according to the Mobility Authority.
- Starting July 9, traffic on southbound US 183 between Bolm Road and Thompson Lane will shift to the newly built general-purpose lanes.
- Drivers will now be able to turn onto Montopolis Drive from southbound US 183. Montopolis will also have a new traffic signal to allow for the later removal of the signal at Vargas Road.
- Those on Montopolis wanting to head northbound on US 183 will have to turn onto southbound US 183 and take the nonsignalized U-turn at Vargas to head north. Those on northbound US 183 will take the U-turn at Bolm Road back to southbound US 183 to get to Montopolis.
- On July 12, northbound traffic between SH 71 and Thompson Lane will be moved over to the new northbound general-purpose lanes. Northbound traffic will also be moved off the Colorado River bridge so crews can demolish and rebuild the bridge. This work will take about a year to complete, so traffic will instead use an adjacent bridge.
- This traffic shift means the northbound exit to Airport Boulevard and East Cesar Chavez, Fifth and Seventh streets will be closed as well as the exit to Hergotz Lane south of the river. These closures could affect those traveling from the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport into downtown Austin. To detour, drivers will take a U-turn at Bolm Road to southbound US 183 to access those streets.
Visit www.183south.com/construction-information/major-activity for updates on the traffic shifts.