- The Oak Hill Business & Professional Association will host its monthly luncheon Thursday, June 1. This month's speakers are Texas Reps. Paul Workman and Donna Howard. Topics of discussion will include the bathroom bill, the sanctuary cities law, public education and more. The meeting will be held from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at Mandola's Italian Market, 4301 W. William Cannon Drive, Austin. Admission is $15 (member lunch), $20 (nonmember lunch in advance) and $25 (nonmember lunch at the door).
- Uber and Lyft will resume operations in Austin on Monday after the companies voluntarily stopped serving the city last year because of what they perceived as unfavorable statewide regulations.
- Austin ISD will hold 13 graduation ceremonies at the Frank Erwin Center, 1701 Red River Street, Austin,on Tuesday through Saturday. A schedule of the ceremonies can be found here. The Rosedale School, 2119 W. 49th St., Austin, will hold its ceremony at its campus.
- Development 2000, a commercial development firm based on downtown Austin, is relocating its headquarters to Southwest Austin this fall. According to the business' principal John Bundy, the company is gearing its recruitment toward medical companies to fill the remaining 7,651 square feet of space available for lease.
- Spokesman cafe and eatery is now open in the The Yard development in the St. Elmo District. The business offers in-house roasted coffee and a variety of draft beers, among other menu items.
- Free meals will be offered to children age 18 years and younger at AISD schools across Southwest Austin this summer through the Summer Food Service Program, a U.S. Department of Agriculture initiative ensuring that low-income children continue to receive nutritious meals when school is not in session.
support local journalism become a community patron Community impact Newspaper's mission is to build communities of informed citizens and thriving businesses through the collaboration of a passionate team. Consider supporting our journalism efforts by becoming a Community Patron today.
join us become a community member Community Members have access to our e-edition and can sign up for our daily e-newsletter
The return of Uber and Lyft and 5 more things for Southwest Austinites to know this week, May 29-June 2
Spokesman is hosting a free unofficial SXSW day party Saturday with local music lineup throughout the day.