Pinthouse Pizza pushes the creative envelope with Round Rock location

Tyler Norwood, Ned Lavelle, Kyle Detrick, and Joe Mohfield are four of the six co-founders. Not featured are Ryan Van Bienne and Nic Van Bienne. (Trent Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)

Long before the restaurant opened, Pinthouse Pizza began with a passion for craft beer shared by friends.

Co-founders Ryan Van Biene and Tyler Norwood have known each other since 1997. They maintained a friendship from grade school to undergrad, and after Norwood began his studies in business school at The University of Texas, he met co-founder Ned Lavelle.

As they entered the restaurant industry, Norwood and Levelle had a creative itch to make something of their own. Van Biene was already familiar with Pizza Port in San Diego, a brewpub similar but not quite the same as Pinthouse Pizza, and shared the concept with them.

“We used it as a launching point and made it our own, and we’ve continued to evolve the concept,” Norwood said.

They added family friends Kyle Detrick and Nic Van Biene as co-founders in addition to Joe Mohrfeld, a former head brewer for Odell Brewing Co., bringing Pinthouse's ownership group to six.

The group opened their first brewpub on Burnet Road in North Central Austin, producing 690 barrels of beer a year back in 2012.

Now, Pinthouse Pizza has four locations, expanding to South Lamar Boulevard in 2016, Round Rock in 2019 and its newest location, Pinthouse Brewing on Ben White Boulevard, in 2020.

After adding another fermentation vessel in 2021, Round Rock will be able to produce 7,000 barrels of beer a year. The restaurant's beer capacity is not the only thing that has grown: The Round Rock location is 12,900 square feet, three times the size of the South Lamar Boulevard location.

The much larger space not only provides a spacious zone for customers, but also gives staff more room to work with, Norwood said.

“The kitchen is bigger, which allows us to be more efficient and have more capacity in terms of production,” Norwood said. “The brewery is three times as big as our South Lamar one. We’ll do close to 7,700 barrels here when we’re up and running full. Lamar does about 3,000 now.”

According to a 2020 chart of top ten individual brewpubs by region, Brewers Association ranked Pinthouse Pizza Round Rock No. 1 in the south region.

“It’s the biggest brewpub in terms of barrelage in the south region and top ten nationally in terms of how much beer we make.” co-founder and culinary director Ned Lavelle said.

True to the Pinthouse creative spirit, the team continued to expand on the ideas of their older brewpubs.

“[Round Rock] is the only location out of the first three original pizza pubs with a bar as the focal point,” Norwood said. “The Burnet and South Lamar locations feel more like a restaurant with a bar that’s a part of it. With the bar being in the middle from when you come in on either side, it makes it feel more like a bar. I think that transformation speaks to our desire to continue to evolve and be creative.”
Pinthouse Pizza

2800 Hoppe Trail, Round Rock

512-717-0869

www.pinthousepizza.com

By Trent Thompson

Reporter, Austin Metro

Trent joined Community Impact Newspaper as an intern in May 2021 after graduating with a degree in journalism from the University of Texas, Austin in December 2020. In July 2021, he was promoted to Austin Metro reporter. He covers several news beats from education and government to dining, transportation, nonprofits, and healthcare. However, his primary beat is business and development. Before working at CI, Trent wrote for The Daily Texan, UT's daily student newspaper, and worked on many projects of his own for his undergraduate program. In his free time Trent writes poetry, spends time with loved ones, and watches Star Wars for the hundredth time, including other new movies.

Round Rock ISD released enrollment information for its virtual learning program July 29. (Brooke Sjoberg/Community Impact Newspaper)
Round Rock ISD releases virtual learning enrollment information

Round Rock ISD released enrollment information for its fall 2021 virtual learning program July 29.

Public schools cannot require students, teachers, parents, and other staff members or visitors to wear masks after June 4, Gov. Greg Abbott declared in an executive order issued May 18. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Leander ISD 'highly recommends' masks; tax-free weekend tips and more Austin-area news

Read the latest business and education news from the Central Texas area.

School supplies will be exempt from the 8.25% sales tax Aug. 6-8. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
What to know before the statewide tax-free weekend Aug. 6-8

Customers will not have to pay the standard 8.25% sales tax on select clothing, footwear, school supplies and backpacks under $100.

Allstate Insurance agent Robert Elander is relocating to an office off Round Rock West Drive after serving the community from an office on Round Rock Avenue for 25 years. (Courtesy Robert Elander)
Allstate Insurance agent Robert Elander relocating office Aug. 30

A Round Rock Allstate Insurance agent is relocating his office after 25 years, effective Aug. 30.

Baylor Scott & White Pflugerville
Ascension, Baylor Scott & White to require all employees be fully vaccinated against coronavirus by fall

Ascension and Baylor Scott & White have announced all eligible employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 in the coming months. 

The new location of Aspire Vision Care opened for business July 26. (Community Impact Newspaper)
Aspire Vision Care relocates to Smyers Ln. in Round Rock

Aspire Vision Care relocated to a new facility off of Smyers Lane in Round Rock, opening for business July 26.

The CDC reversed its masking guidance for fully vaccinated individuals in response to the transmissibility of the delta variant of COVID-19 in a press conference July 27. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
NEW CDC GUIDANCE: All individuals should wear masks in K-12 schools, including those who are fully vaccinated

The new CDC guidance, announced July 27, also recommends people in areas with "high" or "substantial" levels of transmission wear masks regardless of vaccination status.

Based in Round Rock and owned by Joe Ramos, The End of Silence will specialize in "cassette-era" classic rock with vinyl records from artists such as Bob Dylan, Pearl Jam and Duran Duran. (Courtesy Joe Ramos)
Online Round Rock-based record store going live Aug. 1

A Round Rock-based online record store launching Aug. 1 will offer "cassette-era" classic rock on vinyl.

Habitat For Humanity
More than $500K of federal funding to support Williamson County affordable housing projects

Williamson County will receive more than $2 million from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to support infrastructure and public facilities projects.

Chick-fil-A will open a location in downtown Austin on July 29. (Courtesy Chick-fil-A)
Chick-fil-A coming to downtown Austin; Dutch Bros Coffee opens in Round Rock and more Central Texas news

Located at 600 Congress Ave., Ste. C150, the newest outpost for the fast-food fried chicken giant is locally owned by Luke Steigmeyer.

Legacy Senior Residences II is the second affordable housing development under construction by developer Cornerstone Associates LLC. (Brooke Sjoberg/Community Impact Newspaper)
Affordable senior living development coming to Red Bud Ln. in Round Rock in Aug. 2022

An affordable senior housing development in Round Rock will complete construction in August 2022.

State Rep. Vikki Goodwin, D-Austin sent a letter July 23 urging Gov. Greg Abbott to allow schools to require masks. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Texas state reps. call on Abbott to permit school mask mandates amid rising COVID-19 cases

The letter, spearheaded by Rep. Vikki Goodwin, called upon Gov. Greg Abbott and Texas Education Agency Commissioner Mike Morath to permit school districts to enact mask mandates and provide virtual learning options.