Jan. 15 marked the first day candidates could file to run in a local election, with seats up for election on Round Rock City Council, Pflugerville ISD board of trustees, Hutto City Council and Hutto ISD board of trustees. Both Round Rock City Council and Hutto City Council are expected to call for the May 2 election at each council's Jan. 23 meeting.
In Round Rock, Mayor Craig Morgan's seat is up for election, as well a Place 1 and Place 4, currently held by Tammy Young and Will Peckham, respectively. Both Morgan and Peckham have announced they will seek re-election, while Young announced Oct. 30 she would not be seeking re-election and is running for Texas’ 31st Congressional District as a Democrat.
From Pflugerville ISD's board of trustees, Places 6 and 7, held by Larry Bradley and Rob Reyes, are currently up for re-election.
In Hutto, Places 1 and 4 of Hutto City Council are on the May ballot, currently held by Scott Rose and Peter Gordon. Gordon announced on his City Council Facebook page Jan. 15 he would be running for re-election.
From Hutto ISD's board of trustees, two places currently held by Connie Gooding and Scott Feller will be listed on the ballot.
Here are some important dates to know as the May 2 election approaches:
- Feb. 14: last day to order a general election or special election on a measure; last day to file for a place on the general election ballot (local political subdivisions only)
- Feb. 18: last day to file a declaration of write-in candidacy (local political subdivisions only)
- April 2: last day to register to vote
- April 20: first day of early voting by personal appearance; last day to apply for a ballot by mail
- April 28: last day of early voting by personal appearance
- May 2: Election day ends 7 p.m.; last day to receive ballot by mail; 7 p.m. deadline if carrier envelope is not postmarked,
- May 4: (next business day after Election Day) deadline to submit is at 5 p.m. if carrier envelope is postmarked by 7 p.m. at the location of the election on Election Day (unless overseas or military voter deadlines apply)
- Brian Rash contributed to this story.