Platinum Gymnastics Academy helps young students develop their skills

Addyson Martinez (third from right) helps guide young gymnasts daily at her Pflugerville academy. (Photos by Brian Rash/Community Impact Newspaper)

After years of involvement in gymnastics and coaching, Platinum Gymnastics Academy owners Addyson and Gene Martinez decided to take the next step and run their own business.

The academy opened in 2006 and was located off of Grand Ave Parkway in Pflugerville. Out of the location’s 10,000 square feet, only 6,000 square feet were designated for gymnastics, Addyson said.

As more kids joined the gym, space started running out. Nearly a decade ago, Platinum Gymnastics Academy moved to its current 18,000-square-feet location on Helios Way.

Addyson, who was born and raised in Pflugerville, said she wanted the business to be closer to the heart of the city.

“We were really looking for something a little more embedded,” she said.

The academy welcomes students from 18 months to 18 years old. Addyson said they have around 600 kids enrolled at all times, and their busiest time of year is in the fall.

For kids aged 18 months to 3 years old, parents participate in a 45-minute Parent & Tot class to guide their children along gym activities.

A preschool class for ages 3 to 6 years helps build motor skills, hand-eye coordination and agility. While some dads may feel uncertain about enrolling their sons in gymnastics, Addyson said it’s perfect for developing skills that will help them in sports later in life.

For students ages 6 and older, the academy offers recreational gymnastics, tumbling and ninja warrior classes.

The ninja warrior class takes inspiration from the television show American Ninja Warrior and emphasizes the parkour aspect of gymnastics, Addyson said.

A 45-minute special needs program is also offered on Saturdays.

Since taking ownership of the business, one of Addyson’s favorite memories is having watched a student, who started with Platinum Gymnastics Academy when she was 8, receive a full-ride gymnastics scholarship to the Air Force Academy. Because the student trained with them 25-35 hours a week, Addyson said it was like sending one of her own kids off.

“The most rewarding part of the job is any time a child feels like they have accomplished something new,” she said. “It’s the smile on their faces.”

Platinum Gymnastics Academy

3813A Helios Way, Pflugerville

512-251-2776

www.platinumgymnasticsacademy.com

Hours:

Mon.-Thu. 9 a.m.- 8 p.m.

Fri. 9 a.m.-7:30 p.m.

Sat. 9 a.m.-noon.

Sun. Closed
By Megan Cardona

Reporter, Round Rock, Pflugerville-Hutto

Megan is the Hutto reporter for Community Impact Newspaper's Round Rock and Pflugerville-Hutto editions. In 2020, she graduated with a degree in communication from UT-Arlington, where she worked at the student newspaper, The Shorthorn, for two years covering student affairs, campus administration and the city of Arlington.

Hutto Memorial Stadium will reopen to a ribbon cutting and homecoming game Oct. 15. (Courtesy Hutto ISD)
Hutto Memorial Stadium on track to open Oct. 15

Hutto Memorial Stadium will reopen to a ribbon cutting and homecoming game Oct. 15.

Hutto ISD is preparing to offer a virtual learning program in partnership with education company Pearson. (Carson Ganong/Community Impact Newspaper)
Hutto ISD moves forward with virtual learning option for kindergarten through sixth grade

With Senate Bill 15 now providing funding for students who attend class online, Hutto ISD is taking steps toward offering a virtual instruction option for students in kindergarten through sixth grade.

The Austin metropolitan statistical area surpasses COVID-19 pandemic job losses. (Christopher Neely/Community Impact Newspaper)
Austin regains all pandemic job loss, San Antonio nearly misses top 10 best performing metros in the country

The Austin and San Antonio metropolitan statistical areas continue their recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Travis County sent a letter to TxDOT Sept. 21 asking it to explore more options for its I-35  design through downtown Austin. (Community Impact Staff)
Travis County says TxDOT I-35 proposals need ‘more work’ in letter to the state transportation agency

TxDOT said that taking down the highway’s upper decks from Airport Boulevard to Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard necessitates property displacements.

The Kebab Shop is now serving Mediterranean food out of Pflugerville's Stone Hill Town Center. (Carson Ganong/Community Impact Newspaper)
The Kebab Shop open for business in Pflugerville

The Kebab Shop is now serving Mediterranean food out of Pflugerville's Stone Hill Town Center.

Redistricting is one of the items on the Texas Legislature's third special session, and the state Senate released proposed maps on Sept. 18. (Ali Linan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Texas Senate releases proposed redistricting maps as special session begins

Redistricting is one of the items on the third special session, and the state Senate released proposed maps on Sept. 18.

Photo of the Travis County sign
Travis County approves fiscal year 2021-22 tax rate

The newly approved rate, paired with higher home appraisal rates, will result in an increase in taxes for many homeowners.

Williamson County Court House
Williamson County approves nonprofit funding, and other notes from Commissioners Court

Commissioners approved public funding for local nonprofits, including funding for the Williamson Museum.

Information from the city of Pflugerville states the closure is due to Phase 1 of a transportation project intended to complete an extension of Plfuger Farm Lane. (Courtesy city of Pflugerville)
Construction to close intersection at Town Center Drive and Pfluger Farm Lane in Pflugerville

The $3 million project is funded by developer Lifestyle Communities. It will include adding a roundabout at Pfluger Farm Lane and Town Center Drive, and it will extend Pfluger Farm to the north.

Photo of people attending ACL Fest
City of Austin approves ACL health and safety plan, holds off on final permit

Austin Public Health gave ACL the go-ahead to allow proof of vaccination in lieu of a negative COVID-19 test, but asked organizers to require masking in some areas.

Fairways of Blackhawk is a community in Pflugerville home to 476 single-family units. (Carson Ganong/Community Impact)
Fairways of Blackhawk under new management by Associa Hill Country

Property management company Associa Hill Country has been selected to manage Fairways of Blackhawk in partnership with the community’s board of directors.