The city of Austin Transportation Department on May 24 started work on a batch of speed-management projects. Those projects include construction on Blessing Avenue from Atkinson Road to Anderson Lane and on Provines Drive from Mothereal Drive to Turner Drive.
These improvements added asphalt speed cushions throughout the length of the road work. Speed cushions help reduce excessive speeding on neighborhood streets, according to city materials.
Construction on the speed cushions on Provines has already finished, according Jeff Stensland, a senior public information specialist for ATD.
Weather delays briefly hampered construction on the speed cushions along Blessing, but the city expects to begin work on that road June 21, Stensland said in an email to Community Impact Newspaper. Construction is anticipated to take three to four days.
These roadway improvements are the part of the first phase of citywide traffic-calming construction planned by the city, according to ATD documents.
In all, 15 streets across Austin will see speed limit reductions or speed limit mitigations as part of this program. Those streets are the following:
- Springdale Road (Airport Boulevard to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard)
- Briarcliff Boulevard (Cameron Road to Berkman Drive)
- Rosewood Avenue (East 11th Street to Webberville Road)
- Bolm Road (Springdale Road to Shady Lane)
- Webberville Road (Springdale Road to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard)
- Crystalbrook Drive (Loyola Lane to Pecan Brook Drive)
- Blessing Avenue (Atkinson Road to East Anderson Lane)
- Provines Drive (Mothereal Drive to Turner Drive)
- Heflin Lane (Springdale Road to Webberville Road)
- Colony Park Drive (Loyola Lane to Ritchie Drive)
- Powell Lane (Georgian Drive to I-35)
- Peppertree Parkway (East Stassney Lane to Teri Road)
- Blue Meadow Drive (Bluff Springs Road to Meadow Lake Boulevard)
- Palace Parkway (West Slaughter Lane to West Dittmar Road)
- Abilene Trail (Convict Hill Road to Beckett Road)
For more information about these projects, visit the ATD website.