Even as retail stores, dining rooms and bars stayed closed to customers this spring as precaution to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, local entrepreneurs proved determined to open businesses across Northwest Austin.
Here are the 10 most read Impacts—news of businesses now open, coming soon and more—in Northwest Austin in 2020.
1. North Austin seafood restaurant Sam's Boat closes doors
North Austin seafood restaurant Sam’s Boat announced its permanent closure at 10931 Stonelake Blvd., Austin, in an April 30 Facebook post. Read the Impact here. (Note from the writer: This dining establishment has reopened as The Boat.)
2. North by Northwest Brewing Co. selling equipment, kegs as brewpub closes doors after 20 years
North by Northwest Brewing Co., located at 10010 N. Capital of Texas Hwy., Austin, is closing permanently after 20 years of business. Read the Impact here.
3. 21 Texas malls to temporarily close until March 29
Simon Property Group will close all of its retail properties across the U.S. at 7 p.m. March 18, according to a release. It includes 21 properties in Texas, and the closure lasts until March 29. Read the Impact here.
4. Grand Lux Cafe closes restaurant at The Domain
Grand Lux Cafe closed its Domain location at 11506 Century Oaks Terrace, Ste. 128, Austin, on Jan. 6. Read the Impact here.
5. Northwest Austin family building first brewery in Anderson Mill
When Derek and Haley Law began initial designs on their upcoming brewery, they went in knowing they wanted the space to be as welcoming to the community as possible. Read the Impact here.
6. New vegetarian Indian restaurant coming to Northwest Austin
Namma Veedu Vasanta Bhavan is opening soon at 13729 Research Blvd., Ste. 695, Austin, according to the restaurant’s website. Read the Impact here. (Note from the writer: Namma Veedu Vasanta Bhavan is now open.)
7. Domain Northside Apple store in North Austin temporarily closing doors
Apple Inc. has temporarily closed its store in Domain Northside at 3121 Palm Way, Austin, as a precaution to stop the spread of the coronavirus. Read the Impact here.
8. Tex-Mex restaurant opens doors to Domain-area location on Burnet Road
Dos Salsas on Dec. 20 opened its location near The Domain at 11301 Burnet Road, Bldg. 1, Austin. Read the Impact here.
9. Pier 1 Imports will close Northwest Austin locations as company begins liquidation process
Nationwide home decor retailer Pier 1 Imports will permanently close its Northwest Austin stores. Read the Impact here.
10. Austin FC breaks ground on $45 million training facility
As construction at Austin FC’s McKalla Place stadium continues throughout the summer, executives with the Major League Soccer team broke ground on the team’s training center. Read the Impact here.
Year-end review: Here are the most popular Impacts from 2020
Northwest Austin seafood restaurant The Boat opened in spring 2020 after Sam's Boat permanently closed. (Iain Oldman/Community Impact Newspaper)