Here are the top ten most-read education stories in Northwest Austin in 2020.
1. Round Rock, Pflugerville, Hutto ISDs announce extended school closures
Area school districts announced extended school closures March 16 in response to recent health updates concerning coronavirus. Read the full story here.
2. TEA: Districts must offer some in-person classes for 2020-21 school year
After Gov. Greg Abbott told state lawmakers June 18 that students would return to Texas public schools in the fall, guidelines released by the Texas Education Agency on June 23 fell in line with the governor's comments, mandating school districts offer some form of on-campus instruction during the 2020-21 school year. Read the full story here.
3. Around 900 Round Rock ISD students could be rezoned this fall
Approximately 915 students in Round Rock ISD could attend a different campus starting in the 2020-21 school year if the board of trustees approves preliminary attendance zone adjustments as proposed. Read the full story here.
4. Austin ISD planning for blended teaching approach for school year beginning Aug. 18
Austin ISD Superintendent Paul Cruz said during a board presentation June 1 that the district is working toward a blended approach for classes for the 2020-21 school year. Read the full story here.
5. Round Rock ISD launches e-learning, postpones Round Rock High School, Westwood proms
Round Rock ISD launched the Home Learning Hub on March 22 for use in at-home learning during extended school closures amid concerns about COVID-19. Read the full story here.
6. 'I’ve cried almost every day': Inside Round Rock ISD's return to in-person learning
Sixteen-year-old Madison Talkington said she loves school—or, at least, she used to. A junior at Cedar Ridge High School in Round Rock ISD, Talkington is a varsity-level water polo player with a 4.0 grade point average. But this semester, she said, she is barely treading water. Read the full story here.
7. Austin ISD trustees approve calendar for 2020-21 school year
Austin ISD students will officially return to class for the 2020-21 school year Aug. 18, and that school year will end May 26, 2021. Read the full story here.
8. Round Rock ISD schools now closed through April 13; district weighs possibility of closing through end of academic year
Round Rock ISD Superintendent Steve Flores announced the district will extend school and office closures until April 13 in response to coronavirus-related concerns. Read the full story here.
9. Round Rock ISD class of 2020 seniors to receive May in-person commencement walk
Round Rock ISD's class of 2020 seniors will get the opportunity to walk across the stage in an in-person commencement ceremony, the district announced. Read the full story here.
10. The path to closure: How Round Rock ISD decides to close a school due to COVID-19
With the closure of Stony Point High School until Dec. 1, students are now at home learning virtually, but many Round Rock ISD parents have been left wondering if more campuses could close. Read the full story here.