According to new numbers from the Texas Workforce Commission, a total of 1,293 residents across the six ZIP codes of Community Impact Newspaper’s Northwest Austin distribution area filed for unemployment insurance through the state from July 15 to Aug. 15.
That is down by more than 7,500 claims than were filed in Northwest Austin from March 30 to April 30.
Across the city, the 78758 ZIP code in North Austin continues to be one of the hardest-hit neighborhoods with unemployment. According to TWC numbers, 375 residents in that ZIP code filed for unemployment insurance, a rate of 7.9 claims per 1,000 residents.
Only a half-dozen of other ZIP codes—78748, 78745, 78744, 78704, 78741 and 78753—in the city of Austin reported a higher total number of unemployment claims over the past month.
Here is the breakdown of unemployment insurance claims by ZIP code across Northwest Austin over the past month, along with population estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau.
- 78726: 94 UI claimants, or a rate of 6.78 claims per 1,000 residents
- 78727: 183 UI claimants, or a rate of 6.2 claims per 1,000 residents
- 78729: 226 UI claimants, or a rate of 7.71 claims per 1,000 residents
- 78750: 153 UI claimants, or a rate of 4.96 claims per 1,000 residents
- 78758: 375 UI claimants, or a rate of 7.9 claims per 1,000 residents
- 78759: 262 UI claimants, or a rate of 6.16 claims per 1,000 residents
To file for unemployment insurance with the Texas Workforce Commission, click here or call 800-939-6631. More than 681,000 job openings are posted through Texas Workforce Solutions. Click here to view those positions.