Looking ahead, 2021 looks to be a transformative year for Northwest Austin with massive development projects, including the Austin FC soccer stadium and the upcoming Apple 2 campus, ready to open their doors.
Here are the five most read development stories from 2020.
1. Abbott executive order deems residential construction as an "essential service" across the state
Gov. Greg Abbott on March 31 issued an executive order that implements essential services protocols across the state of Texas. Read the full story here.
2. Revised Apple campus site plan in Northwest Austin includes new 6-story hotel
A revised site plan submitted earlier this year by Apple Inc. includes a new six-story hotel at the technology giant’s upcoming Northwest Austin campus. Read the full story here.
3. Northwest Austin family building first brewery in Anderson Mill
When Derek and Haley Law began initial designs on their upcoming brewery, they went in knowing they wanted the space to be as welcoming to the community as possible. Read the full story here.
4. Why did Dell Children’s Medical Center choose Northwest Austin for its newest pediatric hospital?
Families in Williamson County in need of pediatric health care have historically had to travel south into Travis County to get it. Following the news that Dell Children’s Medical Center will be building an expansion hospital in far Northwest Austin, however, families from Cedar Park, Round Rock and other surrounding communities will soon have a pediatric health care option in their backyard. Read the full story here.
5. After city votes for eminent domain on land in Northwest Austin, developer likely to fight procedure in court
After nearly a handful of years of site plan submissions, citizen petitions and negotiations, the city of Austin is now seeking to acquire a contentious plot of land off Spicewood Springs Road in Northwest Austin. Read the full story here.