A committee tasked with studying Leander ISD school start times is scheduled to deliver its recommendations to the LISD board of trustees at a Sept. 5 regular meeting.
According to LISD documents, the Bell Schedule Committee—composed of six principals, six central office staff members, two trustees, one former trustee and one teacher—has been studying start times since 2018. At the meeting, the Committee is scheduled to recommend that LISD:
- Consider three, tiered start-finish times with at least 40 minutes between drop-off times;
- Get feedback on start times from the elementary, middle and high school students and parents, and;
- Study how time could be added to instruction as a result of start-finish time changes.
According to the LISD website, current start and finish times at LISD schools are as follows:
- Elementary school: 7:45 a.m.-2:50 p.m.
- Middle school: 8:55 a.m.-4:05 p.m.
- High school: 8:40 a.m.-3:45 p.m.
Before providing final recommendations in December, the committee plans to seek feedback on proposed start times and address questions and concerns, according to LISD documents.
The meeting is scheduled to begin at 6:15 p.m. at 1900 Cougar Country Drive in Cedar Park.