The statue, known as the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument, was placed in front of the courthouse in 1916. Commissioned by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, the statue is of no one in particular but a general symbol to represent Confederate soldiers.
As Confederate statues are being removed across the country, a small but consistent group of protesters have been calling for the statue to be removed and instead placed in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Georgetown where over 100 Confederate soldiers are buried. Those protestors have also been met with counter-protestors who do not want to see it removed or altered.
Because the statue is on Williamson County property, it is up to the Commissioners Court to make the decision on its removal. However, it is not just a vote by the court that is needed.
Instead, the court must vote to petition the Texas Historical Commission for its removal. Then the THC must approve it.
In order for an item to be placed on the agenda, first it has to be sponsored by one of the five court members. This item was sponsored by Precinct 4 Commissioner Russ Boles.