COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus that has been spreading recent months, has lead to heightened fears, but Gravell assured residents that the county is staying on top of it.
“I have complete confidence in our Williamson County health staff, as well as our Williamson County and Cities Health Districts,” he said. “Williamson County continues to work with our health districts on monitoring the coronavirus in accordance with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Texas Department of State Health.”
Gravell spoke during the Commissioners Court meeting and said county officials are working through all possible scenarios and outcomes to ensure the safety and health of residents.
He added that if and as soon as a case is confirmed in Williamson County, the information will be shared.
“As your Williamson County judge, it's always been my desire for us to be forward-leaning in preparing for the worst, praying for the best and expecting anything,” he said. “Our departments, staff offices and elected officials have taken those appropriate steps.”
The court will discuss any budget items related to coronavirus as it is needed, Gravell said.
In that, Gravell urged the public to take health official's recommended measures to prevent the spread of the virus as well as everyday illness like the common cold and flu, including:
- Stay home when sick.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water is not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover the mouth and nose with the inside of the elbow when sneezing or coughing.
- Wash hands after coughing, sneezing or blowing the nose.
- Disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects such as phones and doorknobs.
“I want to reassure the public that the worst thing that can occur at this time is a sense of panic or sense of fear,” Gravell said. “It's always easy to be afraid of that which we do not know, but let's trust our local health professionals.”