Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated Pat Green’s performance date. He will perform Saturday, April 27 at 9:30 p.m.
Red Poppy Festival organizers anticipate warm, sunny weather and record-setting crowds when the three-day annual event kicks off at 6 p.m. on April 26 in downtown Georgetown.
In its 20th year, the festival features a weekend of activities, including a parade and a car show, as well as musical and artistic performances on three stages set up on and near the Square. Country music star Pat Green is the festival’s headline act this year. Green’s free set is scheduled to start at 9:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 27.
Here are more details on what to expect at the festival this weekend.
Organizers estimated about 65,000 visitors during last year’s festival.
The city of Georgetown is offering several options for transportation and parking.
Free parking options
• Parking garage: Rock and Fourth streets
• Parking lot: Austin Avenue between Fourth and Fifth streets
• Parking lot: Martin Luther King Jr. and Eighth streets
• Parking lot: Martin Luther King Jr. and Sixth streets
• Parking lot: Rock and Sixth streets
Some neighborhood streets also include public parking spots, although festival organizers ask visitors to not block driveways or park in any fire lanes.
Parking for people with disabilities is available in the parking lot at 10th and Main streets.
The public parking lot at Sixth and Main streets closes at 5 p.m. on April 25 and remains closed through the three-day festival.
Saturday shuttle service
Free shuttle service will run from 9 a.m.-midnight on April 27.
Pickup and drop-off spots are located at First Baptist Church, 1333 W. University Ave., Georgetown; at East View High School, 4490 E. University Ave., Georgetown; and downtown at the corner of Austin Avenue and Ninth Street.
Uber and Lyft
A designated pickup and drop-off point for Uber and Lyft ride-hailing services is located at 406 W. Eighth St., next to the Georgetown Public Library.
• Austin Avenue and other streets around the downtown Square close at 6 a.m. on April 26 between Sixth and Ninth streets and will remain closed until 11 p.m. on April 28.
• An expanded street closure area (see map) for the Red Poppy Parade will be enforced from 6 a.m.-noon on April 27.
• Four blocks around Ash Street between East University Avenue and East Eighth Street will close during the Red Poppy Festival Car Show from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. on April 27.
Traffic detour routes when road closures are in effect April 27 will be located along Rock Street to the west of the Square and along portions of College and Holly streets.
Additional information is available on the festival’s website at www.redpoppyfestival.com.