Georgetown City Council has given preliminary approval to a new privately run event facility located downtown that could be used for weddings, birthdays and other functions.

Council voted, 5-2, during its Tuesday meeting to approve an initial reading of an ordinance granting a special-use permit to Compostela Development, which asked for the variance to develop The Wish Well House at 511 S. Main St., Georgetown.

The facility would include 6,600 square feet of indoor space along with 3,000 square feet of outdoor space, according to city planning documents. It would be designed to hold a capacity of 350 people and operate daily between 7 a.m. and midnight.

Doug Bryce, son of William Bryce, who is listed as the property’s owner, told council members that he supports the redevelopment proposal. He said the existing building on the property has a long history, and in the past had been used as a hotel.

“I think it’s a beautiful use for an old structure that needs a lot of work,” he said.

Georgetown resident Charlotte Richards, who said she lives next to the facility's location, told council members she is supportive of the project but has concerns about the additional traffic and parking needs the center could bring, as well as noise from events at the proposed venue.

Council Member Rachael Jonrowe, who represents District 6 where the facility would be located, voted against giving preliminary approval to a special-use permit. She said she did not think the project would fit with the land use and character of the surrounding neighborhood, adding that if the permit request is ultimately granted the council should set conditions on the development to mitigate traffic or noise concerns.

"This project is going to have undue negative impact," Jonrowe said.

District 5 Council Member Ty Gipson, who supported preliminary approval of the request, said he believes parking issues and other concerns could be solved before the development begins construction.

Council will need to vote for final approval at a later meeting before the special-use permit is granted.

Any changes to existing buildings on the property would require review by the city’s Historical Architecture Review Committee.

More information can be found on the city's website.