Restaurant, bar planned for historic post office building could include second-floor event venue

The new owners of the building at 113 E. Eighth St. are seeking a permit for an event facility. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)

A new space available to rent for private events could become available downtown.

City Council will vote Nov. 26 on a special-use permit for an event facility on the second floor of the building at 113 E. Eighth St.

In October 2018 council members approved a contract for the sale of the building–the historic post office that served as Georgetown’s City Hall–for $1.5 million to City Post Partnership, which Travis Baird, the city's real estate services manager, described as a group of local business owners.

According to documents for the Nov. 26 council meeting, City Post intends to operate a destination restaurant and bar in the building, including a second-floor event space, which is contained inside of the existing facility.

“In addition to usage of this event space by patrons of the restaurant and the general public, the event space may also be rented out for private events,” the documents said, adding the event space may include live music or entertainment.

The hours of operation will be primarily afternoons and evenings, up to seven days per week, the documents said. Events may run as late as midnight. It said the estimated number of employees and customers utilizing the event space will not exceed 124 people.
SHARE THIS STORY
By Sally Grace Holtgrieve

Sally Grace Holtgrieve solidified her passion for news during her time as Editor-in-Chief of Christopher Newport University's student newspaper, The Captain's Log. She started her professional career at The Virginia Gazette and moved to Texas in 2015 to cover government and politics at The Temple Daily Telegram. She started working at Community Impact Newspaper in February 2018 as the Lake Travis-Westlake reporter and moved into the role of Georgetown editor in June 2019.

The future of GoGEO and public transportation in the city is one of many topics that will be reviewed and discussed as part of fiscal year 2020-21 budget planning. (Sally Grace Holtgrieve/Community Impact Newspaper)
Schedule planned for developing Georgetown’s FY 2020-21 budget

A timeline for budget development was presented to City Council on Feb. 25.

Williamson County Sheriff's Office, Williamson County Commissioners Court
Williamson County detective asks for better mental health help for deputies on administrative leave

The detective told the Commissioners Court officers were purposely cut off from communication with the office as part of their administrative leave punishment.

Williamson County EMS, Shantelle Dunn Brannon
Williamson County Emergency Management names first female deputy director

Shantelle Dunn Brannon began the job in late January.

This map provides details on the Highway 195 and Berry Creek Drive project. (Courtesy city of Georgetown)
Highway 195 and Berry Creek Drive project starts in Georgetown this week

The project aims to improve safety by closing the existing crossover and rerouting turning traffic to new turnarounds and auxiliary lanes.

Georgetown Market Days occur on the second Saturday of the month from March to November. (Courtesy Downtown Georgetown Association)
Plays, soirees and mad dashes: 18 things to do in Georgetown this February and March

Check out this list of events in Georgetown happening late February through early March.

Williamson County residential home sales increased 11.6% year over year, according to an Austin Board of Realtors January housing market report. (Ali Linan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Williamson County sees increase in year-over-year residential home sales in January

Williamson County residential home sales increased 11.6% year over year, according to an Austin Board of Realtors January housing market report.

Georgetown ISD rezoning 2020
Georgetown ISD board finalizes rezoning for 2020-21 school year

Students at Pickett, Carver and Mitchell elementary schools as well as Wagner Middle School will be affected.

Sue Harrison Georgetown ISD Round Rock ISD
Georgetown ISD names Sue Harrison as director of human resources

Harrison will start in her new role March 9.

Mango Tango Bistro and Bar Georgetown
Asian fusion restaurant coming to Georgetown Square

The bistro and bar plans to open in mid-March.

Cordovan Art School offers a summer camp. (Courtesy Cordovan Art School)
Check out 29 Georgetown summer camp options for the 2020 season

Parents searching for summer camps have a variety to choose from in the Georgetown area.

Local committee works to see Georgetown completely counted in U.S. census

Members will work to educate residents so they know what to expect and when regarding the census, which, ideally, will make them more likely to respond.

Meet the artist, more details on the new Gus's Drug mural in Georgetown

On March 2, the artist will begin drawing out the design on the wall.

Back to top