New general manager for Georgetown electric utility tackles energy crisis

Daniel Bethapudi is the new general manager for the city of Georgetown's electric utility. (Sally Grace Holtgrieve/Community Impact Newspaper)

Daniel Bethapudi began his role as the general manager for the electric utility for the city of Georgetown on Oct. 7. He will oversee the 75 employees and annual $77.4 million operating budget for the utility, which serves nearly 27,000 customers, according to the city. While at Texas A&M University obtaining his master's degree in agricultural economics with a focus on econometrics, Bethapudi researched how energy crises impact the economy on a community level. City officials also said in Bethapudi’s most recent position as assistant director for College Station utilities, he restructured and replaced multiple energy contracts for an average annual savings of about $15 million.

How does your past experience make you qualified for this position?

I started working for Mid-South Synergy in Navasota as an intern in 2001. After a couple semesters they offered me a full-time position and offered to pay for my school. I started there as a business analyst and helped with a lot of business issues. I progressed to the role of engineering and IT manager and from that transitioned into the chief financial officer role. I took over in 2008 when the economy tanked. The electric utility was going through a financial crisis, but within a couple years we turned it around to the point that, financially, the electric utility had its best year in its 70-year history.

Have you dealt with a situation similar to Georgetown’s?

The co-op was going through a financial crisis similar to what we are going through here with the electric fund. I worked at the electric utility 10 years, then I worked for the city of College Station utilities for five years. While there I dealt with energy issues, energy contracts, power-supply issues and things like that. ... Excess energy manifests in the financial issues the electric fund is seeing. At the end of the day, I firmly believe that financially you have to be strong in order to meet your other needs.

What first steps are you taking to address the city’s energy issues?

Coming into this role and going through the interview process, I was aware of the steps the city was taking to mitigate it. Everybody knows this is a challenging role, but one of the reasons I took this position was because I felt comfortable knowing the electric utility itself is a very strong utility. From a service point of view it has really good reliability statistics. I was also comfortable with some of the things city leadership was doing to address the energy issues. If I were in this role when we were trying to fix the issues I would have taken similar steps. Making sure a proper risk-management structure is in place so that something like this doesn’t happen again is an important step. When you’re trying to manage a complex situation, you need to make sure you have diversity of thought and the right people on your team. That’s where we went out and issued [requests for procurement] for an energy manager—so that somebody who has access to a bigger market can help us offload or address some of our excess energy issues. Those are the two main things we’re trying to put in place in the next month or two.

When can we expect to see changes?

We have to take some small steps, but in the next year or two we should start seeing things turn around quickly as far as power supply issues are concerned. If Georgetown was a community that was was not growing, then addressing the excess energy issue would be handled one way, but we are growing fast. We shouldn’t start from one extreme and go to the other extreme—we need to take some short-term, medium-term and long-term fixes so we are addressing the issue in a responsible manner. Just because we have excess energy now, we shouldn’t turn around and offload everything because we have excess energy; a couple of years down the road we may have to go out and procure more energy because we are a growing community. Bringing on somebody with wider energy management experience should help us address excess energy issues in the short term and be able to come up with what I call bilateral trades so we can start moving the needle straightaway. We don’t need to take knee-jerk reactions; we need to be measured regarding how we go about it.

What can residents expect regarding their utility bills?

That’s a tough question for me to answer right now. Everybody at the city is working hard to make sure the customers' impact is addressed. All the steps we are trying to take in addressing the excess energy issue will hopefully have an impact on the rates. I take that very seriously. Rates should be reasonable for the service we provide; we’ll do whatever it takes to address that issue.
By Sally Grace Holtgrieve
Sally Grace Holtgrieve solidified her passion for news during her time as Editor-in-Chief of Christopher Newport University's student newspaper, The Captain's Log. She started her professional career at The Virginia Gazette and moved to Texas in 2015 to cover government and politics at The Temple Daily Telegram. She started working at Community Impact Newspaper in February 2018 as the Lake Travis-Westlake reporter and moved into the role of Georgetown editor in June 2019.

Williamson County reports additional coronavirus-related death May 28. (Ali Linan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Williamson County reports additional coronavirus-related death May 28

“Our hearts are with the family who lost their loved one due to this deadly disease," Williamson County Judge Bill Gravell said.

Southwestern University has released a campus plan for the fall 2020 semester. (Ali Linan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Southwestern University releases campus plan for fall 2020 semester

The semester will begin Aug. 24 for in-person classes.

Outdoor venues in all Texas counties will be permitted to operate at up to 25% capacity starting May 31. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Spectators to be welcomed back to Texas outdoor sporting events May 31 at 25% of venue capacity

Venue owners must operate under guidelines that facilitate appropriate social distancing.

Georgetown business owners reflect on the impact of coronavirus. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Georgetown business owners reflect on the impact of coronavirus

“Being on top of the world and [just] crashing down was just heartbreaking," one business owner said.

Each eligible child will receive $285 in benefits. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Some Texas students eligible for one-time federal benefit to aid with food purchases

Texas received approval from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to provide more than $1 billion in pandemic food benefits.

Williamson County judges are continuing to hold court even as the coronavirus pandemic forces the courts to enter digital spaces. (Chance Flowers/Community Impact Newspaper)
Justice continues in Williamson County even as courtrooms go virtual

Williamson County judges are continuing to hold court even as the coronavirus pandemic forces the courts to enter digital spaces.

Williamson County confirmed coronavirus cases have reached 588. (Screenshot courtesy Williamson County)
4 new coronavirus cases confirmed in Williamson County, which has reported more than 9,800 tests

Currently, 15 patients are hospitalized, and seven are in intensive care, per the report.

Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar spoke to members of the Clear Lake Area Chamber of Commerce on May 27 about what the state's post-pandemic economic turnaround might look like. (Screenshot of May 27 virtual luncheon)
Texas comptroller predicts slow, steady economic turnaround post-pandemic

Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar said the state entered the era of the coronavirus in a healthy financial situation, which bodes well for the future as reopening continues, but that Texans are not out of the woods yet.

Nursing facilities across Texas will be able to apply for federal funds to purchase devices to connect residents to friends and family. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Gov. Greg Abbott announces $3.6 million project to connect nursing home residents to families

Gov. Greg Abbott announced May 27 that $3.6 million will be provided to nursing facilities to purchase tablets, webcams and headphones to connect residents with family members.

Amie Gonser will open 620 Art Gallery & Studio in June as a fine art gallery and space for art education classes. (Courtesy Amie Gonser)
IMPACTS ROUNDUP: News on 20 Central Texas businesses and nonprofits

Read about Central Texas business news from Community Impact Newspaper's coverage this week.

Valerie Nicholson, Georgetown mayor pro tem and District 2 City Council member, will resign from her position effective May 31. (Courtesy city of Georgetown)
Georgetown Mayor Pro Tem Valerie Nicholson resigns due to planned move

The city is waiting on clarification from the governor’s office about whether it can delay filling the District 2 seat until the Nov. 3 election.

Williamson County is preparing to open to the public June 1. (Ali Linan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Williamson County prepares to open to public June 1

As the county prepares to open its buildings, here is what you need to know.