Texas Education Agency prepares plan to correct issues in special education system

Leander ISD's board of trustees approved an approximate cost of $4,657,533 for 85.5 new positions.

U.S. Department of Education reports Texas Education Agency violated special education law
In a Jan. 11 report, the U.S. Department of Education found the Texas Education Agency failed to ensure all special education students in the state were given access to appropriate services. Now, the TEA, under the orders of Gov. Greg Abbott, is working on a corrective action plan to address the issue.

According to the federal report, the TEA failed to identify, locate and evaluate children with disabilities and to monitor school districts to ensure they met requirements laid out in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.

The heart of the violation can be tied to an 8.5 percent indicator set in 2004 as a general target for the number of students a school district should have received special education services. Although TEA officials said the number was not an enforced requirement, the U.S. Office of Special Education Programs found it caused some school districts to take actions intended to decrease the percentage to 8.5 percent or lower. The indicator was eliminated in 2016.

The TEA produced the first draft of its corrective action plan Jan. 18, at which point it began compiling public comments on the plan. After the public comment period—which ends Feb. 20—the TEA will produce a revised plan, which it is aiming to release by March 1.

Initial plans include: providing resources to parents of students suspected of having a disability; implementing a special education professional development system statewide; and strengthening resources allocated to special education to increase on-site support.

“I share Gov. Abbott’s urgency to quickly address the issues identified in this federal monitoring report,” TEA Commissioner Mike Morath said in a statement. “More importantly, I share the Governor’s commitment to doing what’s right for special education students in our public schools.”

The number of Texas students receiving special education services declined from 11.6 percent in 2004 to 8.6 percent in 2016, according to USDE. Although the state’s student population increased by more than 1 million from the 2003-04 school year to the 2016-17 school year, the special education population decreased by 32,000 students.

Educators, parents and members of the community can provide anonymous feedback regarding the TEA’s draft plan through an online survey, which will close at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 20. Those who have additional feedback can email [email protected].

By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.

Leander Marketplace PUD would be located at the northeast corner of Hero Way and US 183. (Screenshot courtesy city of Leander)
Leander eyes development with restaurants, retail; Bin Drop opens in New Braunfels and more top Central Texas news

Read the top business and community news from the past week from the Central Texas area.

Mortgage purchase applications are down year over year, but the Austin housing market remains hot. (Benton Graham/Community Impact Newspaper)
Austin housing market still hot but showing signs of slowing down

Experts say that a decrease in mortgage purchase applications points to “a reversion back to norm” in the Austin housing market.

Peter Lake (left), chair of the Public Utility Commission of Texas, and Brad Jones, interim president and CEO of the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, provided an update on state regulators' electric grid redesign efforts in Austin on July 22. (Ben Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
Regulators: Texas electric grid prepared for potentially record-breaking demand next week; 'once-in-a-generation reforms' underway

The heads of the agencies in charge of the Texas electric grid met in Austin on July 22 to provide updates on their grid reform efforts.

The closure will allow New Braunfels Utilities crews to install bore pits beneath the Union Pacific Railroad tracks as part of the work to install the 24-inch water line along Castell Avenue. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Portion of Castell Avenue to be closed in New Braunfels beginning July 26

The closure will allow New Braunfels Utilities crews to install bore pits beneath the Union Pacific Railroad tracks as part of the work to install the 24-inch water line along Castell Avenue.

The office provides in-home care to residents throughout Central Texas. (Courtesy Meredith Clark)
HomeWell Care Services now open in New Braunfels

The office provides in-home care to residents throughout Central Texas.

Travis County has been discussing the possibility of a new Samsung facility with Samsung since January. (Community Impact Staff)
Travis County begins incentives negotiations with Samsung for possible $17B facility

Samsung is hoping to finalize a performance agreement by mid-August, which would include information about how the potential facility would affect property taxes.

The apartments are expected to open in fall of 2022. (Courtesy New Braunfels Food Bank)
Apple Seeds Apartments to provide training, affordable housing to New Braunfels residents

"It's a much bigger movement and work than just 51 apartments run by the food bank," said Eric Cooper, president and CEO of the San Antonio Food Bank. The apartments are expected to open in fall of 2022.

Massey Wallace and her husband, Allen Wallace, will open a seventh location of Lonestar Kolaches at the former Little Red Wagon in October. (Brooke Sjoberg/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lonestar Kolaches coming to Round Rock; Kilwins sweet shop to open in Georgetown and more Central Texas news

Read the latest business and community news from the Central Texas area, such as the Williamson County judge doubting more shutdowns as coronavirus rates increase.

A resident of EdenHill Communities receives the last dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine. (Lauren Canterberry/Community Impact Newspaper)
Comal County active COVID-19 case count tops 400 as area vaccination rates remain near 50%

More than 290 confirmed and probable COVID-19 cases have been reported by Comal County since July 12 as hospitalizations rise.

The store sells overstock and returned items that drop in price each day. (Courtesy New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce)
Bin Drop now open in New Braunfels

The store sells overstock and returned items that drop in price each day.