Here is the latest business news from downtown Austin.
1. B.D. Riley's Irish Pub announced Aug. 27 it will permanently close its location at 204 E. Sixth St., Austin. The pub opened in 2000, and according to a social media post from the owners, it hosted eight weddings, four wakes and more than 8,000 live music performances over its 20 years. The Mueller location at 1905 Aldrich St., Austin, remains open. The owners did not give a date for the closure of the downtown spot. 512-494-1335. www.bdrileys.com
2. Dirty Dog Bar, a live music venue at 505 E. Sixth St., Austin, closed Aug. 31. "We held on as long as we could even after losing revenue from March through today and with no end in sight," the owners wrote in an Aug. 28 social media post. When bars are allowed to reopen following the lifting of COVID-19 restrictions, the owners said they hope to find a new location to reopen. www.dirtydogbar.com
3. Tears of Joy Hot Sauce Shop, located at 618 E. Sixth St., Austin, will close its physical location Sept. 30. Joy Burleson started the business as a tamale-making operation in 1988, and three years later, her son Brian Rush moved from Colorado to help her with the business, which transitioned into a hot sauce shop. The business will continue on with online and grocery store sales, according to Rush. "It's been a blast. It's been a great 27 years," he said in a recorded video. 512-499-0766. www.tearsofjoysauces.com
4. Donn's Depot, located at 1600 W. Fifth St., Austin, has established a fund to which customers can donate money to keep the bar open during its state-mandated closure. Donn Adelman, who has run the longtime piano bar since 1972, said in a video that community donations can help the bar pay its bills and, hopefully, reopen in the near future. "Thank you for being patient with us, and we love every one of you," Adelman said. 512-478-0336. www.donnsdepot.com
5. Dive Bar, located at 1703 Guadalupe St., Austin, announced July 22 it has closed permanently. "We love each and every one of our amazing and loyal friends and customers who have made Dive such a wonderful place over the years," the owners wrote on social media. www.facebook.com/divebaraustin
Downtown Austin business updates: Tears of Joy, B.D. Riley's to close Sixth Street locations; Donn's Depot fights to hang on
Tears of Joy Hot Sauce Shop, located at 618 E. Sixth St., will close its storefront on Sept. 30 to focus on its grocery and online retail business. (Jack Flagler/Community Impact Newspaper)