Families receive monthly payments beginning July 15 from increased child tax credit

Rep. Lloyd Doggett, Austin resident Cristina Guajardo, and council member Vanessa Fuentes spoke at a press conference regarding the expanded Child Tax Credit. (Trent Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)

Eligible parents with children under 18 are about to have more money in their bank accounts because of a newly expanded Child Tax Credit.

Through the American Rescue Plan, families will receive half of the credit in 2021 through monthly payments from July 15 until December 2021. Payments of $250-$300 per child will be distributed however a stimulus check was received, either via direct deposit or a check will be sent by mail. In 2020, the CTC gave a credit of up to $2,000 per child under 17, according to the Tax Policy Center. Now, families will receive $3,000 per child between 6-17 and $3,600 for children under age six; regarding the advance monthly payments, that is $250 and $300 a month, respectively. Single parents who earn below $75,000, heads of households who earn below $112,000, and married couples who file a joint tax return who earn below $150,000 can receive the full credit, as well as qualified widows and widowers. Homeless parents with children may also receive the money.

There is no limit to the amount of eligible children a family can have to benefit from the CTC, and there is no limit to the amount families who can receive it either, Rep. Doggett said.

Rep. Lloyd Doggett (D-Austin) spoke to the media July 15 alongside Austin City Council Member Vannessa Fuentes and Austin resident Cristina Guajardo at Foundation Communities’ South Prosper Center about how the new CTC will help Austin residents. In a time of great uncertainty and transition, Rep. Doggett said these payments represent hope.

“There was a great deal of discussion about what would have the effect of lifting our poorest families out of poverty and what some of the needs were that families face with rising childcare costs” Rep. Doggett told Community Impact Newspaper.

Foundation Communities provides free services to those in need, from assistance to filing taxes and setting up a bank account to providing affordable housing. Those who still need to file their 2019 and 2020 tax returns to become eligible for the CTC can call 737-717-4000 for assistance in English or Spanish. Those unsure about their eligibility can visit an eligibility assistance tool from the Internal Revenue Service website.

Flyers in English and Spanish will be distributed to immunization sites, concerts held at the Oswaldo A.b. Cantu/Pan American Recreation Center, and at schools with economically disadvantaged children with information regarding how they can get help from Foundation Communities, Rep. Doggett said.

Cristina Guajardo, a single mother of a 3 -year-old child and a May graduate of Texas State University, told her story and her struggles at the press conference. Living with 35 other single moms and their children at the Jeremiah Program, an organization providing services to impoverished families, Guajardo told Community Impact Newspaper that once the news broke about the expanded CTC a few months ago, word spread quickly throughout the building as July 15 neared. Guajardo lost her job, her childcare center within the building, and had to keep up with her schooling and help her son transition to pandemic life, she said.

“One of the phrases that we heard throughout the pandemic was ‘we’re all in this together,’” Guajardo said . “While that did create a sense of unity, it didn’t really apply to everyone because everyone was affected to different degrees. While the world stopped outside, everything inside my apartment kept going fast.”

The new CTC gives her peace of mind because it will help her pay for the increased cost for childcare during a time of intense transition from student to employee and pandemic to a post-pandemic world, Guajardo said. She will use this new free time to search for a job.

“As many parents found out during the pandemic, daycare is essential,” Guajardo said. “It is the bridge that connects us to the outside world.”

Council member Fuentes, who represents Southeast Austin, said the new CTC will pull families and single parents who are struggling out of their difficult situations.

“We are taking the burden off the families in need and giving them a boost to ensure they can put food on the table,” Fuentes said. “Women who have been disproportionately affected by Covid are getting a fair shot to return to the workforce, should they choose to. I realize this is just a drop in the bucket and the reality is that families, especially here in Southeast Austin, need much more consistent funding to break through the economic barriers put before them.”

By Trent Thompson

Reporter, Austin Metro

Trent joined Community Impact Newspaper as an intern in May 2021 after graduating with a degree in journalism from the University of Texas, Austin in December 2020. In July 2021, he was promoted to Austin Metro reporter. He covers several news beats from education and government to dining, transportation, nonprofits, and healthcare. However, his primary beat is business and development. Before working at CI, Trent wrote for The Daily Texan, UT's daily student newspaper, and worked on many projects of his own for his undergraduate program. In his free time Trent writes poetry, spends time with loved ones, and watches Star Wars for the hundredth time, including other new movies.

Photo of downtown Austin over Lady Bird Lake
Austin-Travis County officially moves to Stage 5 coronavirus risk

Austin Public Health released new guidelines for both vaccinated and unvaccinated community members as hospitalizations associated with COVID-19 continue to rise.

Pedernales Street has a two-way bicycle lane. The city of Austin is beginning the process to update its sidewalks, bicycle and urban trails plans for the first time since 2014. (Benton Graham/Community Impact Newspaper)
Austin seeks public input for updates to sidewalks, urban trails, bicycle plans

The city plans to center equity in its development of the new plans, acknowledging Austin’s history has lead to disparate transportation outcomes.

The Texas Department of Transportation is hosting an open house Aug. 10 on its $4.9 billion project to improve the 8-mile stretch of I-35 through downtown. (Jack Flagler/Community Impact Newspaper)
TxDOT looks for public feedback on I-35 central project designs

The $4.9 billion project has drawn significant interest from multiple groups throughout Austin.

Gov. Greg Abbott announced the date for a second special legislative session. (Jack Flagler/Community Impact Newspaper)
Gov. Abbott announces second special session agenda

The special session will be Aug. 7 with 17 items on the agenda ranging from bail reform to employment.

Photo of two girls on a playground with "Live United" shirts
United Way for Greater Austin to merge with United Way of Williamson County

The two nonprofits will combine to focus on combatting poverty in 10 Central Texas counties.

Photo of three men drinking at a tiki bar
Ramen Tatsu-Ya readies new South Austin concept, plus more area business news

Tiki bar and restaurant Tiki Tatsu-Ya is set to open later this summer.

Jasper Brown, interim chief of Austin Travis County EMS, proposed that the city add $1.2 million to its budget for EMS to prepare for mass shootings. (Maggie Quinlan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Austin council considers adding millions to budget for mass shooting response, mental health crises

A combined $8.5 million could fund clinicians' work along with training and ballistic vests in case of mass shootings

Q&A: Greg Smith, executive director of Fast Growth School Coalition

Greg Smith is the former superintendent of Clear Creek ISD and became executive director of Fast Growth School Coalition in December 2020. 

Photo of the Travis County sign
Travis County proposes tax rate for 2021-22 fiscal year, prepares for budget approval process

Due to increasing property values, the property tax rate is expected to be around $0.017 lower in the coming fiscal year.

Photo of school supples
Parents weigh in: What are your considerations heading into the 2021-22 school year?

Community Impact Newspaper seeks parent feedback as we prepare for our annual education edition.

Photo of the Austin Police Department
City of Austin certifies Save Austin Now's petition to increase police staffing, adding it to fall ballot

The measure would require two police officers for every 1,000 area residents, among other provisions.

Photo of a doctor with a pregnant woman
Austin health experts warn delta variant could pose higher risk for pregnant women

Maternal medicine doctors across Central Texas have seen increasing numbers of pregnant women coming to the hospital with breathing issues and pregnancy complications as a result of COVID-19.