Leander remains under Stage 4 water restrictions, which prohibit outdoor irrigation and encourage water conservation.
According to the city, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends several steps after a notice is lifted:
- Flush pipes and faucets. Run cold water faucets continuously for at least five minutes.
- Flush water coolers. Run coolers with direct water connections for five minutes.
- Flush home automatic ice makers. Make three batches of ice cubes and discard all three batches.
- Run water softeners through a regeneration cycle.
- Drain and refill hot water heaters set below 113°F.
- Consider changing all point-of-entry and point-of-use water filters, including those associated with equipment that uses water.
As of Feb. 22, at least 73% of the city's water system was restored. Full restoration was expected in one to three days, according to the city.