Affected water customers should follow several recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, including:
- Flush pipes and faucets. Run cold water faucets continuously for at least five minutes;
- Flush water coolers. Run coolers with direct water connections for five minutes;
- Flush home automatic ice makers. Make three batches of ice cubes and discard all three batches;
- Run water softeners through a regeneration cycle;
- Drain and refill hot water heaters set below 113°F; and
- Change all point-of-entry and point-of-use water filters, including those associated with equipment that uses water.