For the first time since Magnolia ISD’s gender-based hair policy was brought up during public comments in August, the board of trustees placed the policy on its meeting agenda Nov. 8 as part of a Level 3 grievance appeal. After meeting in closed session with its attorney, the board declined to take any action regarding the policy.
The motion to decline taking action on the grievance appeal passed unanimously. In the motion, trustee Gary Blizzard said the board is not taking action because the dress code is part of pending litigation.
The district is facing a lawsuit from the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas, which alleges MISD’s gender-based policies violate Title IX and the Equal Protection Clause of the U.S. Constitution, Community Impact Newspaper previously reported. On Nov. 4, the district agreed to temporarily pause enforcement of its gender-based hair policy, which states boys' hair cannot be longer than the bottom of a dress shirt collar, along with two other gender-based dress code standards, according to previous reporting.
Michael Berger Jr., whose grievance the school board heard at its meeting, said the process for trying to change the dress code has been frustrating, slow and tedious. His son, Tristan Berger, a junior at Magnolia High School, was forced to cut his hair after spending weeks in in-school suspension.













