Senior Vice President of Marketing Laura Fragoso has been a part of the Round Rock Express family for 20 years, experiencing countless nights of families, friends and coworkers gathering to eat and drink, relax, be entertained and enjoy America’s favorite pastime.
“When you walk through the gates, the food you smell, the upbeat music you hear, and the fun promotions and events we have going on ... It’s a chance to forget your worries for a little bit,” Fragoso said. “We take our mission seriously — to bring joy to others through the game of baseball.”
Round Rock Express is the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and a part of the Pacific Coast League. Just one level below MLB, many players will join the highest level of professionals this season or the next—Yordan Alvarez and Bubba Thompson were recently hitting home runs out of the park every night at Dell Diamond.
“We have had huge stars here and you’re seeing them up close for much less ... It really is a big league experience in a smaller setting,” Fragoso said. “First timers are always blown away that we have a first-class facility like this so easy to get to for Central Texans.”
A one-of-a-kind experience, every single time
This year at the ballpark, the schedule features more postgame firework shows, exclusive giveaways and thrilling themed nights than ever before. A gathering spot for people of all walks of life, each visit to Dell Diamond is a new opportunity.
The fun extends past the weekend with nightly promotions like $2 Taco Tuesday, Wednesday $1 Hot Dogs and The Original Thirsty Thursday. On Sundays, children play on inflatables and take train rides pregame and run the bases after the game, all for free.
“Come once and you’ll want to come back,” Fragoso said. “It’s something you have to experience to really understand that. We know once we get someone here that we have a fan.”
A few themed nights to add to the calendar:
- Friday, March 31: Opening Day: At no extra charge, fans ages 21 and up can sample beer and seltzer on a tasting tour throughout the ballpark. Stay for a nightcap to watch the first fireworks display of the season. Plus, free baseball caps for the first 2000 fans.
- Saturday, May 20: Wizarding Night: Accio, baseball bat! The legacy of Hogwarts will live on in Round Rock as fans don their invisible cloaks and have their wands at the ready. Let the butterbeer flow.
- Saturday, June 3: Princess Night: Before the clock strikes midnight, Dell Diamond will transform into a royal palace as characters from classic princess movies wander the ballpark. Dress up in attire fit for a queen to greet the “Disney-level” actors and take photos.
- Friday, July 21-Saturday, July 22: Round Rock Donuts Nights: Round Rock Express will play as The Round Rock Donuts on Friday and Saturday night, sporting a new name and fresh uniforms to pay homage to the famous local breakfast spot.
- Friday, Aug. 11: Chili Night with Brian Baumgartner from The Office: Fans who add a VIP meet-and-greet to their ticket purchase will sample chili and take a photo with Brian Baumgartner, the actor who plays Kevin in the famous television sitcom “The Office.”
- Saturday, Sept. 16: “Dazed & Confused” 30th Anniversary Celebration: Round Rock Express will pay tribute to the locally-filmed cult classic with special jerseys, a “Dazed and Confused” bobblehead giveaway and more surprises.
While some have their eyes glued to the field, others will eat and drink their way through the stadium’s myriad of unique vendors. Dell Diamond’s food and beverage partner, Round Rock-based RS3 Strategic Hospitality, adds new offerings each year in addition to fan-favorite classics.
“It’s not just your standard concession stands, they each have their own theme,” Fragoso said. “They’re very unique and we’re really fortunate to offer these food experiences to fans.”
Fans have access to over 15 restaurants and bars along the concourse, including a 1950s-inspired dinner, a Polynesian grill, a classic Texas barbecue joint and a local pizza shop. Each eatery goes above and beyond to serve first-rate offerings, making it easy for attendees to mistake the ballgame for a five-star food festival.
A must-try for newcomers is the famous grilled cheese dog—which is exactly what it sounds like: In lieu of a regular bun, a grilled cheese sandwich is wrapped around the hot dog. Brand new additions to look out for this year include a mac-n-cheese concept and a build-your-own bowl stand.
Love for the community
While Central Texans rush to Dell Diamond in times of celebration, the ballpark also serves as a safe haven during times of hardship. It was a vaccination site during the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as “ground zero for outreach” in the aftermath of the March 2022 tornadoes.
Community involvement at Round Rock Express has reached an all-time high with the help of in-house nonprofit Nolan Ryan Foundation. On any given night, ticket holders have multiple chances to learn about and give back to local causes.
“[We] do what we can to rally around the community and let people tell their stories,” Fragoso said. “I can’t tell you how many times at games over the years that my heart swells inside and I get chill bumps in those good feeling moments.”
How to get involved:
- 50/50 raffle: At every game, attendees have the chance to enter the 50/50 raffle. The winner gets half of the pot, and the other half goes to the Nolan Ryan Foundation. The foundation gives every cent of its half to community grants right here in Central Texas.
- Jersey raffles: Auctioning off players’ jerseys and other items throughout the year helps fund scholarships for the Nolan Ryan Foundation including one for the Round Rock ISD Partners in Education Foundation another at Huston-Tillotson University.
Stocked with all of the necessities for a good time, a Round Rock Express game is the perfect setting for creating meaningful connections with coworkers or company clients. Dell Diamond has 30 luxury suites, a pool and spa, a conference center and party decks.
“Season tickets are an awesome thing for a [Human Resources] manager to purchase for their organization,” Fragoso said. “It’s a great way to say thank you to a client or an employee, and an affordable, easy way to keep people engaged.”
Ready to experience a Round Rock Express game at Dell Diamond for yourself? Head to RRExpress.com to see the full promotional schedule, use the food map to plan your dining experience and find more ways to give back to the community.
The above story was produced by Morgan O’Neal with Community Impact's Storytelling team with information solely provided by the local business as part of their "sponsored content" purchase through our advertising team. Our integrity promise to our readers is to clearly identify all CI Storytelling posts so they are separate from the content decided upon, researched and written by our journalism department.