According to an Aug. 22 news release, Andres brings more than 30 years of law enforcement and leadership experience to the city. Prior to his role in Cibolo, Andres worked as the chief of police in Henderson, Nevada, which he retired from earlier this year.
“The path to this decision spanned many applicants and ultimately resulted in the successful recruitment of a talented leader to join our Cibolo community," City Manager Wayne Reed said in the news release. "Thedrick brings a wealth of leadership experience and a passion for positive change. With his exceptional leadership skills coupled with extensive law enforcement knowledge, I am confident that Thedrick is the right leader to guide our police department towards achieving even greater heights.”
During Andres' time in Henderson, Andres was involved in an off-duty incident in 2014 when he shot and killed Juan O’Neil May, which was followed by a suit from May’s family.
The Henderson Police Officers Association and the Henderson Police Supervisors Association gave a no-confidence vote in Andres' leadership last November. The city did not act on the vote. Andres announced his retirement from the police department in January with the announcement citing the reason to be closer to his family.
The bottom line
On Aug. 25, Cibolo officials submitted a statement to Community Impact that stated Andres disclosed both incidents during his application process.
According to the statement, the off-duty incident was fully investigated by law enforcement, reviewed by the Dallas County district attorney and received a no-bill decision from a grand jury. As part of the hiring process, city officials carried out an investigation that included reference checks with the city managers, assistant city managers, police chiefs and assistant police chiefs in Henderson and Arlington.
Prior to being hired in Cibolo, Andres was also considered a top candidate in the nationwide search for the chief of police of New Orleans.
“The International Association of Chiefs of Police was conducting the recruitment and background process for the city of New Orleans,” said Bryan Hugghins, Cibolo's executive director of safety and infrastructure, in the statement. “Mr. Andres made it to the final stages of the process with New Orleans before he withdrew from the process to accept the offer with the City of Cibolo. The City of Cibolo is honored to welcome Mr. Andres as the new Chief of Police.”
Editor's note: This article has been updated to include additional details about the newly hired police chief and a statement from the city.