Blue Cares, the community outreach program of the San Antonio Police Officers’ Association, awarded $50,000 in college scholarships to 10 San Antonio-area high school seniors on June 8.
The Blue Cares’ Patricia Calderon Scholarship program was created in memory of Officer Patricia Calderon, the first female San Antonio Police Department officer killed in the line of duty on Dec. 27, 1988, a news release states.
- Alexandria Chacon, Health Careers High School
- Sydney Dang, Brennan High School
- Londyn Hall, Madison High School
- Giana Hilliard, Incarnate Word High School
- Rebekah Jones, Jay Science and Engineering Academy
- Magdalena Keller, McCollum High School
- Brandon Vazquez Munoz, Johnson High School
- Venkata Pullabhotla, Brandeis High School
- Amanda Salvatierra, Johnson High School
- Katelyn Teter, Christian School at Castle Hills
SAPOA representatives said the scholarship honors all San Antonio Police Department officers who have died in the line of duty, and their memories are kept alive through awarding college scholarships.
Blue Cares has awarded $189,500 in scholarships since the program’s inception in 2015, SAPOA representatives said.