County takes hard line with recent state cannabis laws, CBD market grows despite lack of regulations

County takes hard line with recent state cannabis laws
Recent laws passed this year by the state Legislature helped the cannabidiol, or CBD, market to quickly expand in the Conroe and Montgomery areas, with at least seven CBD store opening in the last seven months. However, Montgomery County officials said they plan to continue prosecuting marijuana-related cases, which could affect some CBD consumers.

Local business owner Tammy Didier said she sells CBD products at her store Arolistic Naturals, which opened in Conroe on May 10.

“We want to educate the community here on CBD and the benefits of it and the effects of it,” Didier said. “And you know, it’s not a cure-all, and we’re not here to say it’s a cure-all.”

Even though stores such as Didier’s are educating the public on possible benefits of CBD, there is confusion over what CBD actually is and what is legal in Montgomery County.

What is CBD?

Marijuana and hemp are two different plants under the same cannabis family, Didier said. The CBD customers buy from her shop is from the hemp plant, which is high in CBD and low in tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive element in marijuana known as THC.

Dr. Michel Watkins, a pediatric neurologist at UT Health and Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, said both CBD and THC interact with cannabinoid receptors that are located throughout the body via the endocannabinoid system—a physiological, regulatory system inside the body that is said to promote stability. But the science behind this system is still poorly understood, he said.

Didier said customers buy CBD to deal with several issues such as sleep problems, anxiety and general pain. However, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has yet to set up regulations on the standards and practices surrounding CBD.

Didier said CBD products are either broad spectrum—meaning the CBD has been processed to remove the THC—or full spectrum—meaning they contain all the cannabinoids within the hemp plant, including trace amounts of THC. Although the trace amounts of THC are not enough for a consumer to experience psychoactive effects, if someone uses the product every day, the THC could be stored in his or her fat cells and cause a positive drug test result, she said.

Katharine Neil Harris, a research fellow in drug policy at Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy, said there is no way to test whether CBD products come from hemp or marijuana.

“So essentially those products can be bought and sold legally and without repercussions,” Neil Harris said.

Montgomery County District Attorney Brett Ligon said he believes people should be wary of the CBD trend as there is little research or regulation.

“Right now, it’s kind of like the wild, wild west when it comes to CBD oil. It’s not regulated. It’s often times not tested. You don’t know where it’s being produced from,” Ligon said. “I tell my personal friends, ‘Hey look, just know that you don’t know what you’re getting.’ But right now, hey if it’s lawful within the state law, it’s lawful.”

Path to legislation

Gov. Greg Abbott signed two bills into law from the 86th Texas Legislature in June that pertain to medical marijuana and hemp. House Bill 3703 allows physicians to prescribe medical marijuana for illnesses such as terminal cancer and autism, not just severe epilepsy, as the law previously said. House Bill 1325 legalized the production of hemp with a THC concentration of less than 0.3%.

State Rep. Will Metcalf, R-Conroe, said in an email HB 1325 presents a unique opportunity for Texan farmers and hemp is a viable agricultural commodity for west Texas.

Ligon spoke to the Montgomery County Commissioners Court about HB 1325 on July 9. Ligon said the problem is most police departments do not have the necessary equipment to test for the presence of THC.

Following the bill’s passage, several district attorneys, including Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg, said they would limit how many new marijuana cases they would prosecute due to a lack of testing equipment. However, Ligon said marijuana is still illegal and his office has to uphold the law.

“If an officer can articulate that it’s marijuana … there was nothing in the law that said you could not arrest,” Ligon said. “The law didn’t change. Now, did it become more factually difficult to distinguish? Well, of course it did.”

Sgt. Jeff Smith of the Conroe Police Department said in an email CPD officers do not have a specific policy toward CBD oil but reiterated Ligon’s statement on probable cause.

“If a person were found in possession of any product that the officer believed to have more than 0.3% THC, the product could be seized and tested,” Smith said.

On July 9, Ligon received funding from the Montgomery County Commissioners Court to hire labs to determine the THC percentage. During that meeting, he said HB 1325 was written to change farming, not law enforcement.

The fund established by the commissioners comprises $10,000 from Ligon’s forfeiture budget and $10,000 from the court’s contingency funds. Ligon said the tests cost $90 each and require a $100 certification. However, if the test shows the sample has an illegal amount of THC, the fee will be sent through the court system, and the county will recover its cost.

Montgomery County’s marijuana response

Local criminal defense attorney Gilbert Garcia said he believes public attitudes in Montgomery County have shifted in the last five years in favor of a more liberal stance on marijuana to the point where almost all of the jurors called for a recent possession case of his were in favor of legalizing marijuana.

However, Ligon said it is simply his duty to interpret the law to protect the residents of Montgomery County, even through difficult laws such as HB 1325.

“The role of the DA is to look at what the landscape is currently and then make a decision based on what the community standards are and what the law is, which is what we try to do,” Ligon said.

Metcalf said HB 1325 did not end or lessen prosecution for marijuana.

“I fully support Montgomery County DA Brett Ligon in continuing to prosecute marijuana cases,” Metcalf said.

Neil Harris said the public and many government officials need to understand deciding to decriminalize possession of marijuana is not the same as legalization.

“Saying you’re not going to take charges for marijuana possession does not mean you’re legalizing it,” Neil Harris said. “That’s not what’s happening. It just means you’re not punishing people for having it. But in no way are you creating a market for it.”

Although new legislation creates a gray area, Didier said regulation and laws also mark a step forward for CBD shop owners.

“We’re extremely excited about regulation because it’s going to set ... [apart] the people who are just wanting to sell a bottle for a buck [from] those people who are actually wanting to help people,” Didier said.

Kara McIntyre contributed to this report
By Andy Li
Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now works as the reporter for the Conroe/Montgomery edition of Community Impact Newspaper.

The Conroe ISD board of trustees discussed federal emergency funds and virtual schooling at its June board meeting. (Screenshot via YouTube)
Conroe ISD to receive total of $64.7M in federal emergency relief funds; virtual school on hold

Conroe ISD’s initial allocation from Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief is $43M.

From left: Dr. Lata Joshi, chief medical officer for Lone Star Family Health Center; Karen Harwell, CEO for Lone Star Family Health Center; and Matt Clayton, media pastor for The Ark Church, pose for a photo. (Courtesy Lone Star Family Health Center)
The Ark Church in Conroe celebrates 25 years, gifts Lone Star Family Health Center $5,000

Because of the donation, the health center is able to provide 200 visits at no cost at its Grangerland location.

Americans spent 44% more shopping on websites, including Amazon, in 2020 than in 2019. (Courtesy Amazon)
Surge in online shopping strains Houston’s distribution channels

Online spending in the U.S. was up 44% from 2019 to 2020, and transportation expert Bill Eisele said this uptick has put a strain on the region’s transportation system.

Lone Star Groundwater Conservation District, which regulates groundwater usage in Montgomery County, is conducting a subsidence study focused on Montgomery County. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Phase 2 of subsidence study in Montgomery County underway

The study will help guide groundwater policy decisions, LSGCD says.

Texas Central has signed a $16 billion contract with Webuild to lead the civil construction team that will build the train. (Rendering courtesy Texas Central)
Texas Central signs $16B construction contract for high-speed rail project

Texas Central could be one step closer to starting construction.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas issued a call for Texans to conserve energy June 14. (Iain Oldman/Community Impact Newspaper)
ERCOT asks Texans to conserve energy with generation outages 2.5 times higher than normal

"This is unusual for this early in the summer season," said Woody Rickerson, ERCOT vice president of grid planning and operations, in a news release.

League City's Helen Hall Library History Club hosted an event related to Juneteenth on June 7. The holiday honors Union Gen. Gordon Granger coming to Galveston in 1865 to announce the liberation of enslaved people in Texas. (Graphic by Justin Howell/Community Impact Newspaper)
Celebrate Juneteenth in Galveston with a movie screening, parade and more on June 17, 19

The Juneteenth Legacy Project, which aims to recontextualize the day and properly communicate its story and relevance, is hosting or advertising numerous events over the course of the holiday weekend.

Missouri City resident Jackie Ward became the chief nursing officer at Texas Children’s Hospital in January. (Photo by Michael Carr Photography, graphic by Chase Brooks/Community Impact Newspaper)
Q&A: Jackie Ward, Texas Children's Hospital chief nursing officer, discusses career, nursing during COVID-19

Prior to becoming chief nursing officer, Missouri City resident Jackie Ward worked as an oncology nurse and in a variety of leadership roles at Texas Children's Hospital.

The Montgomery County Animal Shelter took in over 660 animals since June 1. (Anna Lotz/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery County Animal Shelter at 'critical capacity point'

The shelter is waiving adoption fees, and all adoptable pets have been vaccinated, dewormed, microchipped and spayed or neutered.

Taco Bueno sells tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos and more unique items, including the Muchaco, a taco made with a soft pita-like shell. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Taco Bueno coming to Katy and more Houston-area news

Read the latest business and community news from the Houston area.