Taste of Greek: Family-owned food truck takes authentic fare from streets to storefront

Owners Daniela (left) and Altin Mulla are transitioning their food truck, Taste of Greek, into a brick-and-mortar store.

Taste of Greek
Altin Mulla and his wife, Daniela, opened the Taste of Greek food truck in the Humble area in 2016, bringing the food of his native Athens, Greece, to the area. Now, the duo is taking their food from the streets into a brick-and-mortar storefront.

The truck, which relocated to its current spot on Northpark Drive in Kingwood in 2017, serves classic Greek dishes such as gyros, which are meat served in warm pita bread with tzatziki sauce, as well as dolmades, or grape leaves wrapped around rice, and the classic Greek dessert baklava. Altin said the care they put into their food creates a uniquely authentic taste.

“Everyone here can sell a gyro, but it’s how we prepare [the food] and the sauce,” Altin said. “The tzatziki sauce is a secret. We don’t buy the sauce from a supermarket; we make it.”

The food truck initially struggled, but Altin said it has since developed a strong community following.

“People, they love our food. The way we cook, the way we treat them,” Altin said. “We’re so happy.”

Daniela said one unique challenge has been making their food “too Greek” for American customers. For example, in Greece, chefs will typically put their fries inside a gyro, but she said most Americans want fries on the side.

But no matter how customers want to eat their food, Daniela said she and her husband make sure they feel at home.

“Because it’s only our family, that’s why we take care of the customer like they’re our own,” Daniela said. “It’s not [an employee] who’s working for us just for a paycheck.”

Altin announced Aug. 30 the truck would transition to a brick-and-mortar restaurant. He said he hopes to open the eatery, which will be located at 4526 Kingwood Drive, in early 2020.

“More people come, and they want more different food,” Altin said. “That’s why we decided to open the business building to have more food, different plates.”

When he does open the restaurant, Altin said he may keep the truck open, but he is more focused on making a smooth transition from the streets to his first storefront.

“It’s going to be like a family,” Altin said. “Like, people when they think of Taste of Greek ... I want everybody to say, ‘Oh, let’s go eat Mom’s food.’”

Taste of Greek
1956 Northpark Drive, Kingwood
832-335-7587
www.tasteofgreek.wixsite.com
Hours: Tue.-Sat. 11 a.m.-7 p.m., closed Sun.-Mon.
By Andy Li
Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now works as the reporter for the Conroe/Montgomery edition of Community Impact Newspaper.

Norman Funderburk and Arliss Bentley are in the race to serve as the city of Humble's next mayor. (Community Impact staff)
Candidate Q&A: Meet the candidates in the race to be Humble's next mayor

Norman Funderburk and Arliss Ann Bentley are in the race to serve as the city of Humble's next mayor.

Houston City Council approved ordinances expanding and funding Houston’s BCycle program on April 14. (Courtesy Houston BCycle)
Houston City Council OKs expansion of BCycle sites

City Council approved the addition of 11 new BCycle kiosk bike stations.

Federal funding is set aside for public schools to address effects of the pandemic. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Why Texas has not yet distributed $18 billion in federal funds intended for public schools

As budget decisions loom for school districts across Texas, state leaders are holding on to federal funds intended for public schools to use in addressing the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Homes priced above $750,000, such as this one in the Heights, saw a surge in sales in March, with almost twice as many properties sold. (Courtesy Houston Association of Realtors)
Average Houston single-family home price jumps 20% in March

The average sale price for a home in March was $370,847.

U.S. Rep Kevin Brady, R-The Woodlands, spoke at the Economic Outlook Conference in The Woodlands on April 14. (Andrew Christman/Community Impact Newspaper)
U.S. Rep. Kevin Brady: 'This term, my 13th, will be the last'

U.S. Rep. Kevin Brady, R-The Woodlands, announced he will retire after completing his current, 13th term in the U.S. Congress.

Following the March meeting, HISD officials conducted a contact tracing experiment March 27-April 1 in which all staff and students who tested positive for COVID-19 during that time would disclose the number of students and staff who would be designated a "close contact" with and without masks. (Kelly Schafler/Community Impact Newspaper)
Humble ISD contact tracing experiment shows possible scenario if masks not utilized

“My fear ... last board meeting was we’d have a disruption without the masks. This data helps me feel better about the decision the board made about keeping the masks for right now," HISD trustee Keith Lapeze said.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas said power outages are not expected April 13, while requesting energy conservation. (Iain Oldman/Community Impact Newspaper)
UPDATE: ERCOT call for energy conservation ends April 13 without need for power outages

An ERCOT official said "tight" supply and demand conditions arose on the state's electric grid April 13 due to forecasting issues amid planned, seasonal maintenance outages by some power generators.

Spearheaded by state Rep. Gene Wu, D-Houston, the new court, if established, would expand the capacity of the county's criminal court system in hopes of reducing its backlog, which stood at 70,951 total cases pending before criminal district courts in Harris County as of April 8. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Harris County supports creation of new criminal district court to tackle case backlog

If the efforts are successful, this would be Harris County's first new criminal district court since 1984 when the 351st District Court was created.

Montgomery County Judge Mark Keough speaks during a budget presentation April 13. (Screenshot via Montgomery County livestream)
Montgomery County commissioners begin FY 2021-22 budget talks

Budget talks have begun at the county level, with a workshop scheduled for late July.

Here is everything you need to know to vote early in the Lake Houston May 1 election. (Jack Flagler/Community Impact Newspaper)
Find out where to cast your ballot during early voting or on election day in the Lake Houston area

There are plenty of places in the Lake Houston, Humble and Kingwood area registered voters can cast their ballot for the May election.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and U.S. Food and Drug Administration recommended health providers pause distribution of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine April 13. (Olivia Aldridge/Community Impact Newspaper)
State, federal health authorities recommend pause of Johnson & Johnson vaccine after 6 rare, severe blood clots

Hub providers in Dallas, Harris and Travis counties have all announced they will follow the recommendations and pause distribution of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.