Sam Houston College of Osteopathic Medicine receives pre-accreditation, begins recruiting first class for Conroe campus

Sam Houston State University will begin recruiting its first class of students for the Montgomery College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Sam Houston State University’s Montgomery College of Osteopathic Medicine will begin recruiting its first class of medical students after receiving pre-accreditation status, according to a press release.

By becoming pre-accredited, Sam Houston State—located off S. I-45 in Conroe—has been recognized as being in the process of attaining accreditation, or government recognition of quality education, according to the U.S. Department of Education.

“This decision allows Sam Houston State University to begin recruiting its first cohort of medical students, who, upon graduating, will dramatically improve access to high-quality health care in rural Texas. Congratulations to Dr. Dana Hoyt and her team for successfully launching the first medical school in our System,” said Brian McCall, chancellor of the Texas State University System, in the press release.

The press release said the university will also collaborate with local hospitals to establish residency training programs for students to serve their own communities. The university has 22 such programs established in East Texas.

The 108,000-square-foot facility is under construction, and is expected to be finished well before students arrive in August 2020. The university has already hired four deans as well as more than 26 faculty and staff members, with specializations in biochemistry, physiology, pathology and anatomy.
By Andy Li
Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now works as the reporter for the Conroe/Montgomery edition of Community Impact Newspaper.

Fewer than 500 COVID-19 patients—478—are currently checked in at Texas Medical Center hospitals. (Community Impact staff)
Texas Medical Center COVID-19 hospitalizations drop 30% in three weeks

Fewer than 500 COVID-19 patients—478—are currently checked in at Texas Medical Center hospitals.

See how teacher, superintendent salaries at Conroe-area districts stack up

See how local districts stack up to their neighbors.

Conroe and Montgomery County firefighters assigned to Strike Team 143 are assisting California departments with containing Creek Fire, the largest single fire in California's history. Crews from the Porter Fire Department are assigned to the August Complex, which is the largest fire in the state's history, as of Sept. 23. (Courtesy Conroe Fire Department)
Montgomery County firefighters battle largest single wildfire in California’s history

Creek Fire has ravaged 289,695 acres, damaged 71 structures and destroyed 855 others. Exhausted from fighting the fire, Strike Team 143 may need a new crew rotation this weekend.

The Howard Hughes Corp. purchased The Woodlands Towers at The Waterway in December while Paul Layne was CEO. (Courtesy The Howard Hughes Corp.)
Howard Hughes Corp. CEO Paul Layne retires after year that saw company move HQ to The Woodlands, purchase of former Occidental towers

The CEO for The Howard Hughes Corp., which develops The Woodlands, The Woodlands Hills and Bridgeland in the Greater Houston area, announced this retirement this month.

Gov. Greg Abbott on July 27 issued an executive order extending the early voting period for the Nov. 3 election. (Screenshot of Sept. 17 press conference)
Lawsuit takes aim at start date for early voting as some Texas Republicans challenge Gov. Greg Abbott's order

A group of prominent Texas Republicans has embarked on a legal effort to undo the governor's executive order that extended the early voting period for the Nov. 3 election.

A breakdown of data and demographics for students and teachers at Montgomery ISD

See the demographic and enrollment breakdown of MISD by campus, based on 2019-20 data.

(Courtesy The Republic Grille/Liz Grimm Public Relations)
Republic Grille opens in Spring and more Houston-area news

Read the latest Houston-area business and community news here.

Texas Central
Texas Central Railroad bullet train project receives rulings on safety framework, selected alignment

Construction for the high-speed bullet train system is slated to begin in the first half of 2021 and to be completed in 2027.

The deadline to register to vote for the Nov. 3 election is Oct. 5. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Here's how to register to vote in Montgomery County

Find out early voting dates and the deadline to register.

Conroe ISD's six high schools will host football games at Woodforest Bank Stadium and Moorhead Stadium this fall. (Courtesy Conroe ISD)
Conroe ISD football season kicks off Sept. 24 with new ticketing plan, precautions in place

A new prioritized ticketing system will be in place this fall due to limits on capacity at the district's two stadiums.

Montgomery County commissioners met Sept. 22 for a regular Commissioners Court meeting. (Ben Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
Homeless shelter plans advance with Montgomery County approval, $1.8M in federal funding

Federal funds will help Montgomery County purchase and rehabilitate a building that will be used to help shelter homeless families.