Denton County commissioners unanimously approved the 2020 renewal of a $77,241 federal funds grant in partnership with the Texas Department of State Health Services for tuberculosis prevention and control at their July 9 meeting.

The grant, which the county has received for 10 years, requires a $9,515 contribution from the county and $15,448 in indirect costs. According to a county memorandum, the funding reimburses Denton County for the majority of costs associated with preventive services and a registered nurse position.

“The purpose of this contract is to ensure that local agencies are prepared for cases of tuberculosis and are able to detect and contain disease outbreaks and sustain local public health infrastructure and maintenance of effort at the local level for provision of services in its jurisdiction that prevent and control tuberculosis …” the memorandum states.

In total, the grant funds 75.58% of the county’s tuberculosis-control efforts, while the county covers the remaining 24.42% of the cost.

Although the latest data from the DSHS shows that Harris, Dallas, Tarrant, Bexar, Hidalgo, Cameron, El Paso, Fort Bend, Travis and Webb counties had the highest rate of reported tuberculosis cases in 2017, Denton County has consistently reported cases in the double digits in recent years.

According to the data, only 17 of 254 counties in the state reported 10 or more cases in 2017.