Ingenious Brewing Co. brings unconventional flavors, ingredients to Humble area

Ingenious Brewing Co.
Ingenious brewing co.
At the end of their 100-hour weeks during medical school, Justin Gyorfi and Mike Broderick had time for little else besides grabbing a beer.

The brewery scene in the Northeast U.S. was nothing like what he was used to in Texas, Gyorfi said. So once Gyorfi finished his residency in Pennsylvania, he and Broderick sought to create that environment with Ingenious Brewing Co. in Humble.

“We wanted to bring that ... rotating, small-batch vibe where it changes all the time to this area because that didn’t exist [in Texas],” Gyorfi said.

Gyorfi, a Houston native, returned to the area to practice urology and is a surgeon by day in Kingwood. Broderick, a Pennsylvania native who was a home brewer at the time, proposed the idea of starting their own brewery to Gyorfi in 2013.

The duo founded the brewpub—which is a pub that brews its own beer for sale on the premises—the following year, and Broderick moved to Texas shortly thereafter.

“He knew nothing of Texas, but he knew how to brew beer,” Gyorfi said of his co-owner.

Ingenious Brewing Co. first opened in March 2018, several years after the company formed. Before they could sell their brews on-site, the owners served samples at The Hop Stop in Humble. Now, the dog-friendly brewpub features 24 taps, indoor and outdoor seating, and an array of independently owned food trucks that rotate at the business.

Gyorfi said they decided to open in Humble because they felt northeast Houston was underserved in terms of businesses, entertainment and restaurants. They also wanted to introduce the area to small-batch, rotating, homemade craft brews that aim to push the envelope with unconventional flavors, Gyorfi said.

Ingenious Brewery’s signature trait, though, is its nontraditional ingredients. Of the mid-June tap selections, the brews consist of ingredients from fruit and pastries to peanut butter. As Gyorfi puts it, Ingenious is “the ice cream shop of breweries,” where virtually everyone can find a beer they like.

“Our beers read like the menu at a Baskin-Robbins,” Gyorfi said. “Say you hated every beer you’ve ever had. I would challenge that I would be able to find a beer that we have on tap that you would like.”

Ingenious Brewing Co.
1986 S. Houston Ave., Humble
832-412-2142
www.ingeniousbeer.com
Hours: Mon.-Thu. 4-10 p.m., Fri.-Sat. noon-10 p.m., Sun. noon-9 p.m.
By Colleen Ferguson
A native central New Yorker, Colleen Ferguson worked as an editorial intern with the Cy-Fair and Lake Houston | Humble | Kingwood editions of Community Impact before joining the Bay Area team in 2020. Colleen graduated from Syracuse University in 2019, where she worked for the campus's independent student newspaper The Daily Orange, with a degree in Newspaper and Online Journalism from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and a degree in Spanish language and culture. Colleen previously interned with The Journal News/lohud, where she covered the commute in the greater New York City area.

Humble ISD announced upcoming graduation ceremonies at George Turner Stadium will be smaller than originally anticipated to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Humble ISD drops high school graduation capacity to 25% to curb spread of coronavirus

Humble ISD announced upcoming graduation ceremonies at George Turner Stadium will be smaller than originally anticipated to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Mayor Sylvester Turner said July 13 that he would like to see a two-week stay-home order in Houston. (Courtesy HTV)
Houston coronavirus updates: Mayor Turner seeking two-week shutdown; 1 in 4 tests coming back positive

Mayor Turner made a series of announcements July 13 related to COVID-19 precautions.

Montgomery County officials are urging residents to wear face masks and take caution. (Community Impact staff)
Montgomery County reports 19 new active coronavirus cases July 13

2,011 people have recovered out of the total 3,112 cases.

Public health officials in Houston and Harris County reported that 2,001 new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed July 13, a new single-day record for the county. (Community Impact staff)
Harris County coronavirus count: 2,001 cases, 8 deaths confirmed July 13

Public health officials in Houston and Harris County reported that 2,001 new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed July 13, a new single-day record for the county.

A Cy-Fair ISD employee distributes meals via curbside pickup for district students during the summer. (Courtesy Cy-Fair ISD)
'Community Impact Newspaper' seeks feedback and more Houston-area business, community news

Read the latest Houston-area business and community news here.

Thousands of Montgomery County voters appeared in person or submitted absentee ballots during the 10-day early voting period. (Ali Linan/Community Impact Newspaper)
More than 21,000 Montgomery County residents participate in early voting for July 14 runoff

Just under three-fourths of the total early voting turnout was Republican, and one-fourth was Democratic.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, shown here in March, announced July 13 the U.S. Department of Defense would provide additional resource to help Texas combat COVID-19. (Brian Rash/Community Impact Newspaper)
Department of Defense task forces deployed to help Texas combat COVID-19

Gov. Greg Abbott announced July 13 the U.S. Department of Defense would provide more resources to Texas to combat the rise of COVID-19.

'Community Impact' now seeking feedback from parents, teachers regarding 2020-21 school year

Help us adequately cover local education by submitting feedback here:

The Texas Republican Convention was originally scheduled for July 16-18. (Courtesy Visit Houston)
Texas Supreme Court rejects GOP appeal to host convention in Houston

The potentially 6,000-person event has drawn criticism in recent weeks from officials who perceive it as a threat to public safety.

Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo spoke about the county's continuing response to COVID-19 and a new small-business coronavirus relief program at a July 13 press conference. (Screenshot via Harris County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management)
Harris County now accepting applications for $30M small-business assistance program

Harris County businesses with fewer than 30 employees may apply for funding through July 24.

The seven-day rolling average of deaths per day in Harris County has increased from 3.86 on July 8 to 8.29 on July 12. (Community Impact Staff)
Harris County coronavirus count: After three weeks of surging cases, death toll starts to rise

The seven-day rolling average of deaths per day in Harris County has increased from 3.86 on July 8 to 8.29 on July 12.

ballot box
Where to cast your vote in the Lake Houston area on July 14 runoffs

There are several places Lake Houston area that registered voters can cast their ballot on July 14.