Conroe ISD to sponsor summer feeding program

Children in the Lake Conroe and Spring areas will be able to enjoy free breakfast and lunch during the summer.

As summer begins, the Conroe ISD plans to sponsor a summer feeding program to combat child hunger.

According to a press release from Conroe ISD Director of Communications Sarah Blakelock, children ages 18 and younger can receive free breakfast and lunch at several schools Monday through Friday, June 5-27.

The following elementary schools will serve breakfast from 7:30 a.m.-8 a.m. and the intermediate and junior high schools will serve breakfast from 7:45 a.m.-8:15 a.m. All schools will serve lunch from 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

Creighton Elementary
12089 FM 1485, Conroe

Ford Elementary
25460 Richards Road, Spring

Houston Elementary
1000 North Thompson, Conroe

Oak Ridge Elementary
19675 I-45 South, Conroe

Rice Elementary
904 Gladstell Street, Conroe

Vogel Intermediate
27125 Geffert Wright, Spring

Moorhead Junior High
13475 Highway 1485, Conroe

No child will be turned away from the sites, according to the press release. The state Summer Food Service program can give callers more information about the program and locations at 1-866-348-6479, or by texting “FOODTX” to 877-877.

By Andy Li
Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now works as the reporter for the Conroe/Montgomery edition of Community Impact Newspaper.

Texas Medical Center coronavirus updates: Hospital system reports 2.2% positivity rate, down 13% year to date

COVID-19 patient numbers at medical center hospitals are down to 309 from the over 2,000 patients those same hospitals were housing in January.

Many restaurants along Hwy. 105 in Montgomery, such as Pizza Shack, have “now hiring” signs displayed. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
End of pandemic unemployment payouts may help businesses struggling to find entry-level employees

Local business and restaurant owners say no one is applying—and the few that do, don't come back.

The Texas Central rail connection from Dallas to Houston will feature a bullet train similar to this one. (Courtesy Texas Central Partners/Community Impact Newspaper)
Texas Supreme Court declines to review high-speed rail case, freeing company up to use eminent domain

Texas Central, the company looking to build a 236-mile high-speed rail line connecting Houston and Dallas, has been given a big win in an ongoing legal battle over whether the company is legally recognized as a "railroad company" under state law.

There will be various events across the Houston area celebrating the Fourth of July, including League City's Fireworks Extravaganza. (Courtesy of League City)
12 Fourth of July weekend events, celebrations to attend in the Greater Houston area

Here are 12 Fourth of July weekend events throughout the Houston region.

(Courtesy Bojangles)
Bojangles announces three Houston locations

The fast food chain offers fried chicken and biscuits, and will be coming to The Woodlands, Humble and Conroe.

Majkszak opened his butcher shop in 2002. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Majkszak’s Meat Market: Local butcher shop serves fresh meats for nearly 20 years in Conroe

“There shouldn’t be ingredients when you go buy a pack of chicken. It should just be chicken,” Mike Majkszak says.

In addition to a variety of donuts, the bakery sells ice cream, kolaches and other treats.
Troy's Donut opens new location in historic Montgomery

This is the bakery's second location.

The teacher training center was named the Walter P. Jett Training Center and will open spring 2022. (Courtesy Conroe ISD)
Conroe ISD names 4 buildings, provides construction updates

The Conroe ISD board of trustees decided on the names of four CISD buildings at a June 15 meeting.

Lone Star College has been approved for additional baccalaureate programs following House Bill 3348 being signed June 16. (Andrew Christman/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lone Star College approved for additional baccalaureate programs

Lone Star College can now have up to five bachelor programs, up from its current three.

The Conroe ISD board of trustees discussed federal emergency funds and virtual schooling at its June board meeting. (Screenshot via YouTube)
Conroe ISD to receive total of $64.7M in federal emergency relief funds; virtual school on hold

Conroe ISD’s initial allocation from Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief is $43M.

From left: Dr. Lata Joshi, chief medical officer for Lone Star Family Health Center; Karen Harwell, CEO for Lone Star Family Health Center; and Matt Clayton, media pastor for The Ark Church, pose for a photo. (Courtesy Lone Star Family Health Center)
The Ark Church in Conroe celebrates 25 years, gifts Lone Star Family Health Center $5,000

Because of the donation, the health center is able to provide 200 visits at no cost at its Grangerland location.