Here are the House, Senate committees Cy-Fair lawmakers will serve on in the 86th Texas Legislature

Gov. Greg Abbott called a special session in 2017, bringing lawmakers back to Austin in the summer.

Texas House Speaker Dennis Bonnen announced Texas House committee assignments for the 86th Legislature on Jan. 23.

According to a press release, Bonnen met with House members individually in recent weeks to learn about their committee preferences.

“After thoughtful consideration, these committee assignments have been made to reflect the seniority and personal preferences of Members and the diverse demographics of the Texas House,” he said in a statement.

Cy-Fair area representatives were appointed to the following committees:

Sam Harless, R-Spring—District 126
• Licensing & Administrative Procedures
• State Affairs

Tom Oliverson, R-Cypress—District 130
• Calendars
• Insurance
• Natural Resources

Gina Calanni, D-Katy—District 132
• Homeland Security & Public Safety
• Juvenile Justice & Family Issues 

Jon Rosenthal, D-Houston—District 135
• County Affairs
• Energy Resources

Dwayne Bohac, R-Houston—District 138
• County Affairs
• Ways & Means

For a full list of Texas House committee members, visit www.house.texas.gov/committees.

Last week, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick named Sen. Paul Bettencourt, R-Houston, chairman of a new Property Tax committee in the Texas Senate.

"Texans have made it clear that they will not stand for anything less than meaningful property tax reform and relief this legislative session," Bettencourt said in a press release.

The state senator was named to three other committees, including Finance, Education and Higher Education.

For a full list of Texas Senate committee members, visit www.senate.texas.gov/committees.php.
By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.