City & county
- Pearland City Council has a regular meeting at 6:30 p.m. Monday with an agenda that includes giving final authorization to amend the city's tax-increment reinvestment zone budget to build new facilities in Shadow Creek Ranch, discussing retiree health benefits and a vote on the sale of $7.5 million in bonds for roads and other capital projects.
- The Brazoria County Commissioners Court will hold hearings on the creation of two new emergency service districts when it meets at 9 a.m. Tuesday.
- The Galveston County Consolidated Drainage District will meet at 8 a.m. Tuesday, followed by a meeting of the Clear Creek Watershed Steering Committee at 11 a.m.
- The Friendswood Downtown Economic Development Corporation will have a board meeting at 4 p.m. Tuesday as it continues to work on the Downtown Improvement Plan.
- The Alvin ISD board of trustees is expected to officially call for a tax ratification election for a tax swap to pay for $480 million bond at its meeting 7 p.m. Tuesday. The bond is planned to pay for several new schools as the district looks to meet its projected growth needs.
- The Friendswood ISD board of trustees will meet at 5:45 p.m. Monday. Among other items, the district will formally vote on setting its tax rate, which is unchanged from last year, except that 4 cents will move to maintenance and operations from debt service.
- The Pearland ISD board of trustees will meet at 5 p.m. Tuesday. Among other items, the trustees will hear an update on the 2014 bond and discuss what to do with funds that remain unspent.
- Wednesday is the first day of school in Friendswood ISD. Thursday is the first day in Alvin ISD.
Enjoy casino games: Senior citizens are welcome to enjoy an evening of casino games, refreshments, music and dancing at Friendswood’s Senior Citizen Program’s Casino Extravaganza. Games include blackjack, craps, roulette and Texas Hold ‘em. Noon-3 p.m. Free. Friendswood Activity Building, 416 Morningside Drive, Friendswood. 281-482-8441. www.ci.friendswood.tx.us