Redistricting, First Colony Conference Center renaming: 3 things to know from Tuesday's Sugar Land City Council meeting

Sugar Land City Hall

Sugar Land City Hall

During a June 5 meeting, Sugar Land City Council approved and discussed several items. To view the full agenda, click here. Council will meet again June 19 at 5:30 p.m. at 2700 Town Center Blvd., Sugar Land.

1) Clyde and Nancy Jacks Conference Center naming approved
In a unanimous vote, City Council approved renaming the First Colony Conference Center the Clyde and Nancy Jacks Conference Center after the couple, who lived in Sugar Land for more than 40 years and dedicated much of their time to serving and leading the community in various capacities.

2) Redistricting policies and committee approved
Council approved three agenda items related to redistricting—a process the city is going through to provide balanced community representation as a result of gaining nearly 30,000 new residents from the annexation of Greatwood and New Territory.

City Council operates with four district council members and two at-large council members.

Although all three items passed—adopting criteria, establishing guidelines for submitting proposals and appointing a 2018 Redistricting Advisory Committee—Council Members Amy Mitchell and Carol McCutcheon were not in favor of appointing active council members to the committee.

Under the approved guidelines, each council member and the mayor appointed a resident to serve on the committee. Additionally, the mayor appointed Council Members Himesh Gandhi and Bridget Yeung, who will not seek re-election due to term limits.

3) First Colony Mall Lifestyle Center improvements approved
Council approved a development agreement between the city, Sugar Land 4B Corporation, Sugar Land Development Corporation and First Colony Mall for improvements to the mall's Lifestyle Center.

Improvements include removing the fountain located at the Cheesecake Factory. This will be replaced with artificial turf with shade awnings, oversized lawn games, a 21-foot by 11.5-foot digital screen and other amenities, according to meeting documents. First Colony Mall officials have indicated these improvements should generate a 10 percent increase in sales.

The mall will take on the lesser of $750,000 or 37.5 percent of the total project costs, according to meeting documents. The mall will also receive 75 percent of new sales tax exceeding the baseline, and the city will receive the remaining 25 percent to put toward property tax reduction.
By Beth Marshall
Born and raised in Montgomery County, Beth Marshall graduated from The University of Texas at San Antonio in 2015 with a bachelor's degree in communication and a minor in business. Originally hired as a reporter for The Woodlands edition in 2016, she became editor of the Sugar Land/Missouri City edition in October 2017.