Cy-Fair ISD moves forward on bond projects, facility renovations

Construction is ongoing at Moore Elementary School in Cy-Fair ISD, which was damaged during Hurricane Harvey.

What we reported Cy-Fair ISD opened Bridgeland High School, Wells and Hoover elementary schools, a replacement campus for Matzke Elementary School and a new natatorium—projects totaling nearly $250 million—in time for the 2017-18 school year. This round of openings completed the district’s $807 million bond package, which was approved in 2007. Administrators planned to move Windfern High School into the old Matzke campus.

The latest Hurricane Harvey flooded Moore Elementary School in late August, resulting in a full renovation set to cost an estimated $12 million to $14 million. Students and staffers moved into the former Matzke facility when school started Sept. 11, delaying plans for Windfern High School by one year.

What’s next The full renovation at Moore is expected to be complete in time for the 2018-19 school year, and officials said most of the cost is covered by insurance. Chief Operations Officer Roy Sprague said once the former Matzke facility is vacant again, work on the Windfern relocation project will commence with plans to open in time for the 2018-19 school year. Sprague said the new facilities funded under the 2014 bond package could include Middle School No. 19, adjacent to Cypress Park High School. PASA will present an updated demographic study around May or June, and those findings will help officials determine where and when the next new schools will be needed, he said.

This story is one update from The January Issue. View the full list of Top 10 stories to follow in 2018 here.

By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.

Redistricting is one of the items on the Texas Legislature's third special session, and the state Senate released proposed maps on Sept. 18. (Ali Linan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Texas Senate releases proposed redistricting maps as special session begins

Redistricting is one of the items on the third special session, and the state Senate released proposed maps on Sept. 18.

Cy-Fair ISD continues to see hundreds of COVID-19 cases confirmed weekly. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
COVID-19 case confirmations down 14% week over week in Cy-Fair ISD

Nearly 3,000 cases have been confirmed on campuses since the start of the 2021-22 school year.

Cliff Woodward (center), co-founder of Cypress Creek Emergency Medical Services, hands the keys of CCEMS’ first ambulance to early CCEMS paramedic Richard Beasley (left) in 1975. (Courtesy Cypress Creek EMS)
Cypress Creek EMS, Harris County ESD 11 forge new paths after yearslong feud

On Sept. 1, the Harris County ESD 11 launched ESD 11 Mobile Healthcare to take over providing emergency services to over 600,000 residents across 177 square miles in its service area in north Harris County.

Texas Medical Center coronavirus updates: Daily average hospitalizations drop 15% week over week; ICU sees dip in number of patients

Coronavirus patients at TMC hospitals number 2,107, which in itself is an 11% week over week decline.

The sandwich chain offers hot subs, cold subs with fresh-cut deli meat, wraps and salads. (Courtesy Jersey Mike's Subs)
Jersey Mike’s Subs opening soon on Barker Cypress Road

The eatery offers a variety of cold and hot subs as well as wraps and salads.

At a Sept. 11 practice, Houston Girls Hockey Association teams took the ice to prepare for their first games the weekend of Sept. 17. (Courtesy Houston Girls Hockey Association)
New Houston-area all-girls hockey league set to play first games this weekend, Sept. 17-19

The league was created to give school-aged girls a chance to continue playing hockey through college, since young girls can often feel discouraged playing on co-ed teams, Director of Membership Valory Zeck said.

graphic
DATA: How population changed in Texas counties between census counts in 2010, 2020

Texas added nearly four million people between 2010 and 2020, according to the latest Census data.

Texas-wide public charter school system Harmony Public Schools will offer a full virtual learning option for eligible students. (Courtesy Harmony Public Schools)
Harmony Public Schools will offer virtual learning for K-12 students in Houston, Katy, Sugar Land, Cypress

Schools under the Harmony Public Schools umbrella may offer up to 10% of its student body a full virtual learning option.

The Barn at Frio Grill has food, drinks and live music. (Courtesy The Barn at Frio Grill)
15 live music venues to visit in Cy-Fair

With a growing live-music scene in their own backyard, Cy-Fair residents do not need to travel far to see talented artists perform.

Construction has begun on Elementary School No. 57. (Courtesy Cy-Fair ISD)
5 Cy-Fair developments to follow this fall

Construction is underway on these five local projects.

Q&A: Get to know Bobby Warren, Jersey Village’s newest mayor

Bobby Warren was elected mayor of Jersey Village in May. Check out our Q&A to see what he's been up to and what his priorities are moving forward.