Bailey Road expansion completed in summer 2017

The Bailey Road expansion was completed in 2017.

The Bailey Road expansion was completed in 2017.

Image description
Bailey Road expansion
The city of Pearland widened Bailey Road from two to four lanes and included raised medians along with a 10-foot-wide pedestrian walk and underground drainage. Running from Veterans Drive to FM 1128, the construction cost of the 2.76-mile expansion project was $23.6 million. The city contributed roughly 20 percent of the construction costs while the other 80 percent came from the Houston-Galveston Area Council and the Texas Department of Transportation.

Timeline: October 2015-August 2017
By Haley Morrison
Haley Morrison came to Community Impact Newspaper in 2017 after graduating from Baylor University. She was promoted to editor in February 2019. Haley primarily covers city government.


MOST RECENT

Director of Community Development Aubrey Harbin presented these changes to the City Council on Sept. 13 after conducting public outreach throughout the month of June. (Screenshot courtesy Friendswood City Council video stream)
Public comments enact change in Friendswood's future land use map; city to continue receiving feedback

The city of Friendswood decided to make changes to the drafted 2021 future land use map based on public comments.

Betty's Salon moved to its new location at 801 S. Friendswood Drive, Ste. 108, Friendswood, in March. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Betty's Salon relocates to new location in Friendswood

Betty's Salon moved to its new location at 801 S. Friendswood Drive, Ste. 108, Friendswood, in March.

Frontier Waste Solutions on Oct. 1 will begin service as Pearland’s waste provider. (Courtesy city of Pearland)
Frontier Waste Solutions to take over as Pearland’s waste services provider in October

Frontier Waste Solutions on Oct. 1 will begin service as Pearland’s waste provider.

Texas Medical Center coronavirus updates: Daily average hospitalizations drop 15% week over week; ICU sees dip in number of patients

Coronavirus patients at TMC hospitals number 2,107, which in itself is an 11% week over week decline.

Anyone 12 years old and older is eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, but must have a parent or guardians permission if they are under 18. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Friendswood ISD to host vaccination event at local campuses

Friendswood ISD will host a COVID-19 vaccination event in partnership with the University of Texas Medical Branch on Sept. 22.

Friendswood City Council adopted this year's tax rate on Sept. 13. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Friendswood City Council maintains current tax rate for fiscal year 2021-22

The tax rate for fiscal year 2021-22 was adopted and kept the same as last year.

Brazoria County has recorded three consecutive days where daily COVID-19 cases have trended down. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Brazoria County coronavirus cases trend down following Labor Day peak

Brazoria County has recorded three consecutive days where daily COVID-19 cases have trended down.

Here are coronavirus updates for Galveston County and the surrounding area from Sept. 2-17. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Galveston County reports first death in resident under 11 and more COVID-19 updates

A total of 52 more coronavirus deaths have been reported by Galveston County Health District since Sept. 1.

graphic
DATA: How population changed in Texas counties between census counts in 2010, 2020

Texas added nearly four million people between 2010 and 2020, according to the latest Census data.

There are about 6,100 students in Friendswood ISD. (Haley Morrison/Community Impact Newspaper)
Friendswood ISD facilities spared by Hurricane Nicholas, and more district updates

Crews were able to repair all windowsill and roof leaks, and remove all debris, in about six hours, executive director of facilities and construction Erich Kreiter told district leaders during a Sept. 15 board of trustees meeting.

Current Friendswood ISD protocols encourage community members to make their own choice regarding masking. (Courtesy Pexels)
Friendswood ISD leaders discuss revising COVID-19 protocols to encourage masking indoors

No changes were voted on at the Sept. 15 meeting. District leaders indicated they will not move toward language instituting a mask mandate due to potential legal complications.