Starting the day after Christmas, here are a few recycling options for South Austin residents. Trees with artificial snow will not be accepted.
- City of Austin curbside customers: Residents can recycle their trees by placing them on the curb in front of their homes. All decorations and tree stands should be removed before setting the tree out, and no plastic bag is needed. Trees must be on the curb by 6:30 a.m. on a resident's regular collection day. Trees over 6 feet tall should be cut in half.
- Zilker Park drop-off: Residents who are not city of Austin curbside customers can drop off their trees at Zilker Park, 100 Barton Springs Road, Austin, Dec. 30-31 and Jan. 6-7 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. All decorations and tree stands must be removed. On Jan. 18, mulch from the trees will be given away for free on a first-come, first-served basis beginning at 9 a.m.
- Pedernales Electric Cooperative: Natural, undecorated trees will be accepted Dec. 26 through mid-January. Tree should be dropped off in the grassy area by the keypad in the Oak Hill PEC office parking lot, located at 9115 Circle Drive, Austin.
- Sunset Valley residents: The city will have a special chipping on Jan. 11 to turn Christmas trees into mulch. Trees can be left on the curb that day and city crews will remove them.
- Kinser Ranch will accept Christmas trees for mulching at 10701 Kinser Lane, Austin. Free. For more information, call 512-748-0800.
- Austin Tree Surgeons will pick up Christmas trees from homes for a fee of $25. For more information, call 512-301-4400.