Gail Stanart, wife of Harris County Clerk Stan Stanart, announces candidacy for Texas House District 126

Texas State Capitol

Texas State Capitol

Gail Stanart
Conservative grassroots activist Gail Stanart announced today her candidacy for Texas House District 126, a seat current Rep. Kevin Roberts is vacating in his pursuit of Congressional District 2 next March.

Stanart, the wife of Harris County Clerk Stan Stanart, said she has lived in District 126 for 29 years. Over that time she has been president of Texas Tea Party Republican Women and precinct chair of the Harris County Republican Party. She now serves for Senate District 15 as the Republican Party of Texas’ state Republican executive committeewoman.

In a press release making the announcement, Stanart said she has experience in the corporate world, having launched businesses in insurance and as an independent beauty consultant with Mary Kay Cosmetics. She has also managed a law firm office and the Shell development construction office.

“This race is about policies that will strengthen families, schools and businesses in this district,” Stanart said in the release. “Obviously, with the damaging effects of Hurricane Harvey, flood management must be addressed quickly.”

Stanart said her top priorities include:

• Property tax reform to ease the burden on homeowners

• Legislation that supports “traditional family values”

• Resolving flooding in the Cypress Creek area

• Eliminating the franchise tax and decreasing regulation on businesses

• Public education solutions

“It will be a spirited campaign of ideas and hard work," she said. "I will be an accessible, approachable leader; my door will be open to everyone.”
By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.