Hot sauce, baseball and video games: 10 events happening in Houston this weekend, Sept. 22-24

Karbachtoberfest continues this weekend in Houston.

From live music benefitting Hurricane Harvey victims to the Houston Astros' last home series of the regular season, there's an event for everyone to enjoy in Houston this weekend.

Sept. 22: Outdoor movie at Discovery Green
Three female NASA employees help launch astronaut John Glenn into orbit in Hidden Figures, a film based on a true story. 8-10 p.m. Free. Discovery Green, 1500 McKinney St., Houston. www.discoverygreen.com

Sept. 22-23: Karbachtoberfest at Karbach Brewing Co.
The four-week event continues with performances from Grupo Fantasma, Los Skarnales and Pachuco Boogie Sound System on Friday and The Bright Light Social Hour and Gio Chamba on Saturday. 6 p.m. Free (admission). Karbach Brewing Co., 2032 Karbach St., Houston. 713-680-2739. www.karbachbrewing.com/karbachtoberfest2017

Sept. 22-24: Houston Astros vs. Los Angeles Angels at Minute Maid Park
In the team’s last home series of the regular season, the Houston Astros take on the Los Angeles Angels with various promotional events throughout the weekend. 7:10 p.m. (Friday), 12:05 p.m. (Saturday), 7:05 p.m. (Sunday). $11-$240. Minute Maid Park, 501 Crawford St., Houston. 713-259-8000. www.houston.astros.mlb.com

Sept. 22-24: Houston Restaurant Weeks
Originally scheduled to end in early September, the annual fundraising event in which local restaurants serve special menus for lunch, brunch and dinner, has been extended through Sept. 30. A portion of proceeds supports the Houston Food Bank. www.houstonrestaurantweeks.com

Sept. 23: A Taste of Lake Houston Festival at Kingwood Town Center
More than 100 local eateries, vendors, artists and boutiques showcase what the Lake Houston area has to offer. 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Free (admission). Town Center Park, 8 N. Main St., Houston. www.atasteoflakehouston.com

Sept. 23: MA+DS Houston Modern Home Tour
Eight modern homes are featured on the self-guided tour. Participants visit each stop at their own pace to view modern architecture around the city. 11 a.m.-5 p.m. $40 (general admission), Free (children ages 9 and under). www.mads.media

Sept. 23: Friendswood Strong: Harvey benefit concert
Friendswood hosts a concert featuring Funksion and Aric Harding, food vendors and bounce houses for children. Proceeds from $20 T-shirts will benefit recovery efforts. 3-7 p.m. Free (donations accepted). Stevenson Park, 1100 S. Friendswood Drive, Friendswood. www.ci.friendswood.tx.us

Sept. 23: Hurricane Harvey fundraiser at The Rec Room
Local artists have an opportunity to express themselves through short plays, poems, stories, songs and videos following Hurricane Harvey. All proceeds raised will go toward the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund. 8-10 p.m. Donations accepted. The Rec Room, 100 Jackson St., Houston. www.facebook.com/events/1293549357421748

Sept. 23-24: Texas Hot Sauce Festival at Bayou City Event Center
In addition to an extensive selection of hot sauce, salsa, chips, dips, peppers, spices, marinades, jams, pickled products, chili mixes and wing sauces, the event also features live music, giveaways and children’s activities. Proceeds from the event benefit the Snowdrop Foundation, a group supporting pediatric cancer patients. 11 a.m.-6 p.m. (Saturday), noon-5 p.m. (Sunday). $10 (adults), Free (children 12 and under). Bayou City Event Center, 9401 Knight Road, Houston. www.texashotsaucefestival.com

Sept. 24: Super Smash Bros Tournament at Eureka Heights Brewing Co.
The brewery hosts a tournament on a 20-foot jumbotron, and the winner receives free beer. 2-6 p.m. Free (admission and play). Eureka Heights Brewing Co., 941 W. 18th St., Houston. www.eurekaheights.com
By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.

Copendero Gun Range is under construction. (Andrew Christman/Community Impact Newspaper)
Copendero Gun Range expected to complete construction on Robinson Road in 2022 despite supply chain issues

Supply chain demands have caused a delay in the delivery of steel for the project, which is anticipated to arrive in mid-November.

Graphic by James Inglish/Community Impact Newspaper
Looking inward: Clear Creek ISD uses equity audit findings for student success

Auditors concluded there are unclear definitions around equity in CCISD; economic need has an influence on end-of-year exam performance; and the diversity of CCISD’s student population is not being represented in staff, among other findings. These results are just one piece of the puzzle, district officials emphasized, when it comes to how they approach serving students’ academic, social and emotional needs.

Sam Ramen is located in the corner storefront at The Market at Harper's Preserve. (Ally Bolender/Community Impact Newspaper)
Sam Ramen coming to The Market at Harper’s Preserve in December

The restaurant is expected to serve ramen, sushi and other Asian food.

Spice Buddy Den & Grill on Sept. 14 celebrated its one-year anniversary in Pearland. (Courtesy Spice Buddy Den & Grill)
Spice Buddy Den & Grill celebrates one-year anniversary in Pearland

Spice Buddy Den & Grill on Sept. 14 celebrated its one-year anniversary in Pearland.

Arlan's Market closed a variety of locations, including one in Magnolia in 2019. (Kara McIntyre/Community Impact Newspaper)
Arlan's Market in Oak Ridge North closing in October

According to the store, everything at Arlan's Market is 50% off, except for water. 

The first-ever Williamson County Fair and Rodeo opens its gates to guests Oct. 21 with live music, carnival rides, food vendors, rodeo events and more. (Courtesy Pexels)
CI NATION ROUNDUP: Inaugural Williamson County Fair and Rodeo underway; delivery drones coming to Friso and more top news

Take a look at the top five trending stories across all of Community Impact Newspaper’s coverage areas as of Oct. 22.

Through a May district survey with more than 13,000 responses from parents, staff, students and members of the community, KISD established the community’s priorities for the federal funding, which directed a significant portion toward addressing learning loss and mental health through 2023. (Community Impact Newspaper file photo)
KISD to put federal funds toward learning loss, mental health

The district was allocated $102.4 million in ESSER funding—not including the funds that will go toward the state’s hold-harmless policy.

Nan and Company Properties held a grand opening and ribbon-cutting ceremony for its new Sugar Land office on Oct. 1. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Real estate firm Nan and Company Properties opens Sugar Land office

Nan and Company Properties represents residential buying, selling and leasing clients and offers developer, builder and relocation services.

Want to know more about new businesses coming to the Katy area? Below you can find details on the five latest commercial projects filed in Katy. (Courtesy Canva)
Here are the 5 latest commercial projects filed in Katy, including new Cheesecake Factory

Want to know more about new businesses coming to the Katy area? Below you can find details on the five latest commercial projects filed in Katy.

Simply Greek serves gyros and more. (Courtesy Simply Greek)
Simply Greek opens two new locations in Cy-Fair

The eatery opened a new location off Grant Road last month and another in the Copperfield area this week.

Read more below for the latest five projects that have been filed in the Sugar Land and Missouri City area. (Courtesy Canva)
Here are the 5 latest commercial projects filed in the Sugar Land and Missouri City area, including new Dutch Bros Coffee

Check out the five latest commercial projects filed in Sugar Land and Missouri City.