Thunderstorm warnings issued throughout Houston

Hou Radar March 29Update: Around 10:30 a.m., a tornado was spotted on the Houston radar. A tornado warning is in effect until 11 a.m.

The National Weather Service is predicting scattered thunderstorms throughout the day in Houston.

While most of the severe weather is forecast to be east of the city by around 1 p.m., Houstonians likely will not see an end to the rain until later this afternoon.

Yesterday, there were 14 reports of tornadoes in the northeastern corner of the state. Although there was little damage, high wind speeds moved across Texas overnight.

Today, severe weather could make its mark on east Texas and eastern Oklahoma before moving into Louisiana, Arkansas and Missouri later in the day. Damaging winds, large hail and a few tornadoes are possible, according to the National Weather Service.

By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.

Missouri City's population grew by 10.25% from the 2010 to the 2020 census. (Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Following 2020 census, Missouri City to redraw City Council district boundaries

Missouri City's population grew by 10.25% from the 2010 to the 2020 census.

Several parents of New Caney ISD students spoke at the district's Sept. 20 board meetings about recent allegations that a student brought a firearm to Porter High School's Sept. 18 homecoming dance. NCISD Superintendent Matt Calvert stressed that no gunshots were fired at the event, and that the district is investigating the allegations. (Wesley Gardner/Community Impact Newspaper)
New Caney ISD officials address allegations regarding student with a gun at on-campus event

According to NCISD Superintendent Matt Calvert, the incident is being investigated by the New Caney ISD Police Department and the Porter High School administrative team, though he stressed that no gunshots were fired at the event.

Selected artwork will be showcased in several display windows on the first floor of the Ion. (Courtesy of the Ion)
Ion opens call for art with installations forthcoming

Looking for art to showcase in display windows, The Ion and Rice Management Company are calling for preliminary installation proposals from local artists.

A demographic report completed this spring by demographics firm Population and Survey Analysts projects Montgomery ISD’s enrollment will grow more than 45% in 10 years. As a result, the district is beginning discussions for a possible May 2022 bond election, district officials said.
Montgomery ISD eyeing possible May 2022 bond, forming citizens bond advisory committee

The restaurants featured in this article in Sugar Land and Missouri City offer deals on kids' meals. (Photo courtesy Canva)
Check out these Kid's Eat Free options in the Sugar Land and Missouri City area

Check out these restaurants in Sugar Land and Missouri City that offer deals on kids' meals.

Many restaurants in Katy offer deals on free or discounted kids' meals. (Photo courtesy Canva)
Check out these Kid's Eat Free options in the Katy area

Check out this list of Katy restaurants offering deals on kids meals.

After setting a record high of active cases in early September, Montgomery County has reported decreases, although ICU bed usage remains high. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Montgomery County sees active COVID-19 cases drop; cases in children under 12 remain high

After setting a record high of active cases in early September, Montgomery County has reported decreases, although ICU bed usage remains high.

Located near the intersection of TC Jester Boulevard and Alvin A. Klein Drive, Windrose West comprises 961 single-family homes and is zoned to Klein ISD. (Ronald Winters/Community Impact Newspaper)
Check out September's featured neighborhood in the Spring and Klein area: Windrose West, 77379

Located near the intersection of TC Jester Boulevard and Alvin A. Klein Drive, Windrose West comprises 961 single-family homes and is zoned to Klein ISD.

Betty's Salon moved to its new location at 801 S. Friendswood Drive, Ste. 108, Friendswood, in March. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Betty's Salon relocates to new location in Friendswood

Betty's Salon moved to its new location at 801 S. Friendswood Drive, Ste. 108, Friendswood, in March.

Located at 22916 Kuykendahl Road, Ste. 100, Spring, the neighborhood wine bar and shop will offer 60 varieties of quality boutique wine as well as several varieties of beer including local favorites. (Courtesy Pexels/Brian Parker)
The Classy Cork to bring more than 60 varieties of wine to north Spring

Owners Alicia Zeringue and Angela Conant plan to open a wine room called The Classy Cork in north Spring in October.

Tomball Animal Hospital will celebrate its 50th anniversary in October at 802 W. Main St., Tomball. (Courtesy Tomball Animal Hospital)
Tomball Animal Hospital celebrates 50 years, plans Oct. 16 festival

Tomball Animal Hospital will celebrate its 50th anniversary in October at 802 W. Main St., Tomball.